PDA

View Full Version : Round Cocking Piece on SMLE

capitano
01-04-2014, 12:56
Folks,

Happy New year all!

I'm looking to buy an SMLE Mk III*. The main area of identification for Maker and date - the wrist - has been ground down - no idea why, so I'm working from other areas of the rifle to date it. I know from the markings on the receiver - Crown, Crossed flags and 'GRI' its an Ishapore (Indian) rifle and it also has a stamp TWE on the butt stock, which is Ishapore's Technical Weapons Establishment, which began in 1951.
So its almost definitely of Indian manufacture.

So now to the date. This Rifle has the Round cocking piece. Apparently, these were changed to the common 'slab' cocking piece from 1916 onwards. The thing is, the bolt , receiver, barrel and Nose cap all carry the same serial no. It also has 1965 stamped on the left side of the wrist.

My question is - is this a pre-1916 rifle, perhaps with subsequent refurbishment, or did Ishapore continue to build these rifles with the earlier cocking piece after this date, if so for how long? I've not seen another one with this cocking piece but have no other way of dating it unless someone knows what to look for.

Any SMLE experts out there advice much appreciated!

John Sukey
01-05-2014, 02:43
India NEVER throws away spare parts.

paintersutt
03-31-2014, 02:17
I just bought a number 1 mark3*, it is dated on receiver 1941 "shtle". It also has the round cocking pc. I have 2 other Enfields the have the slab type. This rifle is supposed to be Ishapore.

JB White
03-31-2014, 05:12
After the changeover, any good parts were kept in the system as spares. Even the MkV rifle is sometimes found with the earlier round cocking piece because they were replaced as part of the bayonet trials. If there was a problem, whatever good part was on hand would have been used to make the repair and get the rifle back into service.

If the rifle has been through Ishapore, then almost anything goes....within reason.

*added* It's also possibe a previous owner changed it out. If it works and is 'correct', then don't fret it. Your rifle hasn't lost any resale value. Better than a broken rifle...right? :)