PDA

View Full Version : Is this good brass?

older than dirt
01-04-2014, 09:57
Hi, got a question about Starline ammo brass. Is there brass a quality product & capable of mutable reloading's? Thanks in advance.

joem
01-04-2014, 12:01
Yes, I use and reload a lot of Starline brass, .44 mag, 7.65 mauser and a host of others.

broom jockey
01-04-2014, 02:18
I was advised that Starline brass is more brittle than others. I had 45-70 Starline brass split midway from the neck. Was told to anneal Starline brass.

p246
01-04-2014, 06:38
Its average. I buy it for plinking brass. Annealing it helps.

da gimp
01-05-2014, 08:41
We've always preferred Starline for our pistol brass......... I have never bought any of their rifle brass yet in the antique Win cartridges, & am still kicking myself in my patootie because I didn't get any .38-56 Win when they made it................ We've always had great luck with the pistol brass. With any new brass, run it thru your case tumbler/vibratory cleaner when it's new........ even if you're using carbide resizing dies with straight walled pistol cases such as .44mag or .45LC........... all new brass has something on it that really grabs onto our carbide sizing dies,..... until you run it thru the old Thumbler's Tumbler for an hour or so.

Matt Anthony
01-06-2014, 03:12
Hi, got a question about Starline ammo brass. Is there brass a quality product & capable of mutable reloading's? Thanks in advance.

It's not Lapua quality, it's strickley average brass probably comparable to S&B in my opinion. I believe Starline was started by Larry Potterfield the owner of MidwayUSA. You can do better and remember you get what you pay for. Brass failures can cause damage to your firearm, so buying the best brass gives you some piece of mind as to failures!
Matt

Matt Anthony
01-06-2014, 03:44
It's not Lapua quality, it's strickley average brass probably comparable to S&B in my opinion. I believe Starline was started by Larry Potterfield the owner of MidwayUSA. You can do better and remember you get what you pay for. Brass failures can cause damage to your firearm, so buying the best brass gives you some piece of mind as to failures!
Matt

Starline was started by Sierra former employee's, not Larry Potterfield. My mistake! Starline made brass for a Larry Potterfield venture early in their earlier years and more.......
Matt

da gimp
01-06-2014, 01:53
Matt, When you say it is (Starline brass) not of Lapua quality........the only brass I've encountered in rifle cartridges that is, is Norma made brass.. Lapua is also the very most expensive brass made, heck I'm not sure if they even make pistol brass............ You are comparing apples & oranges Matt.........

adrians
01-07-2014, 04:42
Starline brass has always served me well in 45-70 and 32-20, the 32-20 brass is very thin at the neck on most makers stuff but Starline seems ( maybe I'm imagining it ) a little thicker in this area .

I think it's good stuff ,,,, for my needs anyway...:1948:

p246
01-07-2014, 08:08
I would agree with da gimp that using Lapua brass as an example is over the top. Its the best rifle brass made in my opinion with Norma being second. 100 rds of it in 300 win mag cost me $144.00. Most of my star line exp. Is with 9mm and 45-70. In both I get average reloads before the cases split. In the 45-70 I started annealing them to get a few more reloads. I think its on par with Remington but below Winchester.