PDA

View Full Version : 45 COLT???

older than dirt
12-30-2013, 10:37
Hi, I`m not knew to reloading, but I will be knew to reloading the 45 Colt. My question is, after resizing, is it necessary to have to check case length? Thanks in advance.

JimF
12-30-2013, 02:11
Always good to check length.

Being a straight-walled case, after trimming to correct length, you PROBABLY will not have to trim again!

I bet the case mouth splits, or primer pocket expands too much . . . rendering the case near-usless . . . . BEFORE the need to trim again arises!

Great old cartridge there!

Have fun . . . . be safe! --Jim

joem
12-30-2013, 02:20
I load them on the light side so I don't have to buy brass all the time.

Hefights
12-30-2013, 09:12
Run a check on length after resizing, you should find them to be within specifications. If not you can trim, but my .45 Colt cases all started life as once fired factory and I never have to trim.

remus
01-09-2014, 08:08
I always check straight walled pistol cases for cracks and splits at the mouth of the case. I don't worry about overall case length and I've never had a problem.

mikld
01-09-2014, 11:26
I always check straight walled pistol cases for cracks and splits at the mouth of the case. I don't worry about overall case length and I've never had a problem.
Me too. Been reloading straight walled handgun cartridges for 30+ years. I have measured a few in the beginning, but have found no need, other than just "wanna know". Straight walled brass actually shrinks when shot, but stretches when resized, and although I sort by headstamp, case length is not measured...

wstrayer
01-09-2014, 03:55
I have yet to need to trim a straight wall in pistol or rifle. Case mouths split before they get too long. Caused by the flaring and crimping. nature of the beast....

albert
01-26-2014, 05:22
I use an RCBS carbide die and only size the first half inch. They fit in my S&W and Winchester 92 just fine. I'm using 255s at usually 700-800 f/s so my brass not beaten up so badly. I'm on my 14th load . Never trimmed. I just measured some and they are still below the trim to length.

psteinmayer
01-27-2014, 04:11
I always check and trim my 45 ACP cases... but I think you'll find that more times than not, the case will not have stretched like a rifle case would. I'm told that this is common with auto-loading pistol ammo.

A word of caution, 45 ACP headspaces on the case mouth... so be careful if you crimp to not crimp too much.