PDA

View Full Version : Approximate Serial Number "S" Marked Handguard/Bayonet Adapters - Stevens 620

Ironlip
12-29-2013, 07:29
Does anyone have a database that shows, by serial number, when the "S" marked handguards/bayonet adapters began to appear on Stevens 620 trenchguns, or an opinion about when they began to show up?

scosgt
12-29-2013, 08:26
When armorers discovered that due to difference barrel OD the three adapters were not interchangeable, the two remaining "trench" manufacturers were ordered to mark their adapters either "S" or "W".
MOST of the marked adapters were actually spare parts.
Late Winchester M12 trench guns (factory parked) normally had W marked adapters.
It is known that many W marked adapters were taken from spare parts and had the blue finish replaced with park to meet the post war combat shot gun requirements (keep in mind that only the last few thousand Winchesters were parked at the factory, all other shotguns and parts were blued, so when you see a parked adapter that was re-done, ESPECIALLY if it is W marked).

As to the Stevens, it would be assumed that it would be the later or higher serial numbers. I don't think there is a definitive cutoff point, and many people over the years have fitted S marked adapters to guns that had the adapters missing. Many of the Stevens guns went to Police Departments after the War, and the first time a cop threatened a drive by bayonetting those adapters were removed and lost to collectors. The Stevens, unlike the Winchester, does not reply on the adapter to hold the gun together, thus it was easily removed and discarded. The guns were eventually sold off as surplus, the fate of the adapters unknown.

I don't have a problem with an S marked adapter on ANY 620, and honestly, most people won't have a problem with it on a 520-30 either.

Tom Doniphon
12-29-2013, 11:16
The contacts to mark the adaptors were made in late 1943. So the last few thousand guns of both the 520 and 620 series usually have S marked adaptors. Probably from about the 66,000 serial number range and up for the 520s and the 26,000 range and up for the 620 trench guns. There are, of course, exceptions to these serial number ranges where guns with lower serials have the marked adaptors.

scosgt
12-29-2013, 01:37
The contacts to mark the adaptors were made in late 1943. So the last few thousand guns of both the 520 and 620 series usually have S marked adaptors. Probably from about the 66,000 serial number range and up for the 520s and the 26,000 range and up for the 620 trench guns. There are, of course, exceptions to these serial number ranges where guns with lower serials have the marked adaptors.

And where a higher numbered gun has an unmarked adapter, due to replacement or the fact that the factory wanted to confuse future collectors.

scosgt
12-29-2013, 01:38
And where a higher numbered gun has an unmarked adapter, due to replacement or the fact that the factory wanted to confuse future collectors.

BOB IN AZ
12-30-2013, 04:28
I'LL stick my two cents in. My Stevens 520-30 ( 56097 ) is un-marked.

67rebelsst
01-04-2014, 08:05
I have two 620,s one is serial # 25,7xx all matching no "s" on adapter; serial # 27,7xx all matching has "s" on adapter: 520-30 serial #62,9xx all matching no "s" on adapter. By all matching: stock serial #, Rec. ser. #, barrel assy. ser. #. I also have a spare Stevens adapter looks NOS with S marked adapter. I bought an 1897 cut down shotgun for that adapter. whole gun was cheaper than finding and buying adapter. just got lucky on that deal. I am personally fine with either and have owned other stevens with S marked adaters serial numbers is tough to gage with or without "s". The key for me is to see like wear. A gun that looks ragged out but the adapter looks new is a turn off and a red flag. In this great collecting field it is always a learning experience. The riot guns for me are harder to find and I am always looking.