PDA

View Full Version : Rock Island Auction - Dec 2013 Premiere Auction

jimmyzwei
12-29-2013, 06:13
Have just been catching up on recording the prices from the Trapdoors (carbines and cadet rifles) from the Dec Premiere auction. I do attend and view these rifles in person. I am in no way an expert and this going to view is part of my studying.

I did notice with the exception of the 2 rifles loosely tied to Custer era and one model 18884 Cadet all went for below the minimum that the auction had predicted with their price range. That is very unusual for a whole group, it happens on occasion with individuals within a group. The last time I noticed it was with a small group of P-38's a few years ago and in talking with some P-38 collectors they were also surprised and i was told at the time there were some good buys then.

Does anyone here follow that auction and have any comments or opinions?

Thanks jimmyZwei

Dick Hosmer
12-29-2013, 08:01
I am acquainted with the consignor, and had some knowledge of his collection, though we only corresponded, and I never saw any of the guns in person. It was one of the premier (if not THE finest) accumulations of trapdoors in the world. His .30 caliber (letter "I") was believed to be the ONLY such arm to still be in the same unaltered condition as when it left SA. I was absolutely stunned by the results - in my opinion, some of his treasures went for half of what they should have. I am quite surprised by (a) his choice of auction houses - I would have used Julia or Cowan (b) that he apparently placed no, or insufficient, reserves (c) the timing in general, and (d) offering them all at one time. I could go on and on, but I think you get the flavor.