PDA

View Full Version : Green or Khaki Sling for No.4 Mk2

EricR
12-25-2013, 09:59
Hello,

In terms of correctness or what would be observed on a rifle in service, would one have seen a No. 4 Mk 2 with a particular colored sling? Am partial to the tan/khaki slings which I think are WWII. Would they have been issued with these late Enfields?

Thanks,
Eric

John Sukey
12-25-2013, 07:15
Keep in mind the sling was considered an accessory and issued seperately

Guamsst
12-25-2013, 08:11
I would assume it would usually depend on the particular unit and what they had in supply.

On paper the correct canteen for me right now would be the tan 2qt plastic one they are issuing now. We have metal 1qt canteens from as long ago as the 50s.

Go with what you like. While a post war sling wouldn't be correct on a 42-44 rifle, an earlier sling is fine on a later rifle. Just my thoughts on it.

EricR
12-26-2013, 06:20
Thanks all. Appreciate the comments. I utilize similar logic for accessories I use with my Garands and M1 Carbines. Merry Christmas!

Art
12-26-2013, 06:49
As was mentioned above the slings would have been supplied by the using units. The Brits issued and re issued items until they were absolutely worn out. I have seen Brit web bandoleers with stamps on them showing they were refilled with ammunition multiple times (both .303 and 7.62mm stamps on some.) A Brit. web sling of either color would be correct for your rifle. If you prefer a Khaki sling and can find one, go with it.

EricR
12-27-2013, 03:41
Yeah, picked up another tan sling on Numrich's Cyber Monday Sale, $6 gamble. Obviously not much of a gamble. I replaced the faded OD sling I had on the No.4 with the Numrich tan after yall's comments.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh140/ewr0733/018_zps10266f9f.jpg

John Sukey
12-28-2013, 10:39
Those cloth bandoleers came back to bite the Brits in the Boer war. This was before web equipment. The bandoleers, meant for one time use, were used over and over, with the result that cartridges would often fall out on the march. Boers would follow the British and pick up the loose rounds for their captured rifles. (this predated charger loading)