PDA

View Full Version : Krag Jorgensen unit markings...

TDP0311
12-22-2013, 08:40
Have a question about a Krag I found browsing around- it has these particular unit markings on it, and I am basically looking to see if anyone has any potential leads on this- particularly if the Marines marked their rifles, or only the Army.

Thanks.

jon_norstog
12-24-2013, 09:17
TD,

I've never seen anything quite like that. A lot of the state unit rifles I've seen have the state name worked into an abbreviation stamped in, but this one doesn't. My first guess would be 5th something, G company, rack number 60. You might be able to figure something out if you can find out something of the piece's provenance.

good luck!

jn

psteinmayer
12-24-2013, 10:55
What strikes me odd is the design of the stamp. It looks as if someone had traced a stencil (60) and then carved it into the stock! If it is an actual stamp, it's quite unique!

Dick Hosmer
12-25-2013, 06:36
Have a question about a Krag I found browsing around- it has these particular unit markings on it, and I am basically looking to see if anyone has any potential leads on this- particularly if the Marines marked their rifles, or only the Army.

Thanks.

Regular Army units were (theoretically) not "allowed" to mark weapons in that manner, so it was probably done by State troops, or some other organization after it was no longer main-line issue. Such markings - in a variety of formats and techniques - are very common on rod-bayonet trapdoors from the SAW period, but seldom seen on Krags.

TDP0311
12-26-2013, 09:51
Thanks for the answers gents... I found this rifle to be interesting as I served in G Company, 5th Marines. However, they weren't formed until WW1, and back then the companies were numbered instead of alphabetic. Either way, with that coincidence it would make a nice addition to the collection!