PDA

View Full Version : Rebarreling

Sliver Shooter
12-21-2013, 10:22
Has anyone made up a new barrel and put it on a Trapdoor? Are they difficult threads? I was thinking of getting a 45cal barrel blank and fitting it to my action, if it doesn't shoot for didaly. I just put the gun together after doing some work to it. It's not original so the collector value isn't there but it otherwise is a fine gun.

k arga
12-22-2013, 06:46
send it to bob hoyt in Virginia and have it lined, I have a carbine there now (bore was chunk rust) told me $200 and p o money order gets it shipped back to me, he is one of the best for reboring.

k arga
12-22-2013, 06:49
SORRY not va but pa phone no 717 642 6696

Mark Daiute
12-22-2013, 08:41
send it to bob hoyt in Virginia and have it lined, I have a carbine there now (bore was chunk rust) told me $200 and p o money order gets it shipped back to me, he is one of the best for reboring.

yup. I agree with this one!

carbineone1964
12-30-2013, 11:54
Bobby is a excellent guy..He sent me some old Musket barrel cutoff pieces to repair my Old 1816 Harpers Ferry.

He did not even charge me as much as shipping I do not think..Gave me alot of Free advice how to go about grafting 5 inches back on the end of my barrel also..So a shout out for him is well deserved...

Dick Hosmer
12-30-2013, 12:06
I have NEVER heard a bad word about him. Have never used his services, but if I were to have any sort of barrel work done, that is where I would go, without even looking for another option.

deadin
12-31-2013, 10:02
I have a very well used original Officers Model with a completely shot out ( or reamed out) barrel.
Would having it relined be a plus or a minus?

Tom Trevor
12-31-2013, 11:02
In my opinion it would be a very big minus, do you want to use it as a shooter? Anyone buying it in the future would knock the price down by a considerable ammount.

Dick Hosmer
12-31-2013, 11:13
Oddly, I could go either way on that one. As the owner of such a rifle (see below) myself - though the bore is perfectly decent - the guys who buy OM's for the BIG bucks want them absolutely pristine; in other words, we are already in deep doo-doo just for having a silver/brown piece. I'm not so sure that a quality reline, for which Hoyt is renowned, would not be at least a break-even, if not an enhancement.

deadin
12-31-2013, 11:56
Dick,
Yours is sure a lot nicer than mine, but I doubt it had as hard a life. Mine came off a hay ranch in NE Washington and had been used as a ranch gun for years.
I don't know if the bore is shot out or was whizzed for .410 shotgun. There is NO sign of rifling...... I haven't bothered to slug it as what's the point?
Do you know if Hoyt has to unbarrel it to do a reline??

http://deadin.info/webpics/M1875D.jpg

Dean

Dick Hosmer
12-31-2013, 01:35
Thanks Dean, but I'm not sure it is - wish my metal had more color to it. Looks like ours are of the same general vintage - that single-screw tang sight didn't last long. Have you participated in Vance Haynes' OM study? It may not be too late, though I think he's getting fairly close to going to press. Is there a number in the trigger guard or at underside of barrel near receiver? Mine is marked "61" in both places. Is your rear sight marked on right or left side of base? Does it have the "50" graduation?

deadin
01-01-2014, 07:00
Vance has all the details from my rifle. He classified it as a Group 3. For what it's worth here are his comments:

Note 58:
Dingler’s Group 3, receiver is Type 2B with the steep step angle at the rear end of the gas escape port (GEP) whereas all other Group 3 receivers of record (Table Y, column 12) are Type 2a. The steep step angle does not appear in the production record (Table 1) until the quarter Jan-Mar 1878, six months after the batch of 100 Group 3 OMRs were made in 1877. However, for some unknown reason, a single Group 3 OMR was made in the quarter Apr-Jun 1878 corresponding to serial range 81224 to 89726 (Table 1). Dingler’s Group 3 may be that single OMR made in 1878.

Needless to say, Vance's study is very detailed........

The trigger guard is marked with a "16" on the bow. The trigger plate has a "16" on the inside next to the TG mounting nut. It also has a "2" at the inside front. The trigger and set spring are marked with a "12". The underside of the barrel carries a "P P ? 12" (The mark between the second P and the 12 is unreadable,) The rear sight is marked on the left and does have the "50" graduation.

Dick Hosmer
01-01-2014, 08:12
Thanks for the feedback. To say that Vance's study is very detailed is an understatement! Really looking forward to seeing it in print. My rear sight is same as yours - as far as I know the left-marked 1873 (stepped) sight is unique to the OMR.