PDA

View Full Version : SOG's Enfield No. 2 Mk 4 Report

Rawhide
12-21-2013, 08:25
Does anyone have a report on SOG's Enfield No. 2 Mk 4? I am interesting in learning about the history and condition of this recent batch of .22 trainers. The added rear sight appears to be a unique variant. Some have suggested that it is Indian. Any thoughts or insights into the origin of these WWII dated trainers?

Frederick303
01-04-2014, 09:35
Well rawhide45, I can give you feedback:

A good friend of mine bought one through his CFFL and dropped it off to me to clean up. After looking at it I will likely try to get him to sell it to me.

The rifle as it appeared was fairly dirty. The bore was very good to excellent with a very distinct and good crown. Barrel was new production, not a relined barrel, made in india. The bolt was bearing on one lug only, which is not correct, though in this case it really does not matter, given the very low pressures of the cartridge. Front nosecap was not bearing correctly, the barrel was bearing against the right had side of the nosecap, the forend will have to be refit in order to get the rifle in correct bedding form. Many of the components seem to be condemned parts such as the bolt body and magazine shell. The forend and handguard had numerous repairs, the buttstock was converted from a No 4 buttstock into a No 3 version, though it retains a No 4 buttplate. The action is a WWI BSA SMLE MKIII (it has the cut off slot) that went through a 1940 RFI rework, and then was converted to the .22 cal in 1962.

As far as history, according to Skennerton the No 2 MK 4 conversions were done in India during WWII, with about 11,000 converted between 1940 and 1945. According to Edwards, 4th edition, “India’s Enfields, 1900 to 2004” these No 2 MK 4* variations were made from 1951 to 1976. The variation with the rear No 4 like sight is not mentioned in any other handbook or Edwards, though he has a picture of one. The ones SOG is selling seem to all be converted in 1962 on scrubbed actions.

Looking at the action it is impossible to see the seam line where the rear bridge for the sight was added. If not for the BSA markings and RFI 1940 markings I would have thought the action body was milled that way. The work was done carefully. Rear sight is a post war BSA production (CR 318 marked) that has been milled out and modified.

Not a pretty piece and it will take some work to put it in prime shooting shape, but at the price was reasonable for what is an uncommon variation.