PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Here

Sliver Shooter
12-19-2013, 06:04
You have another newbie on board, here. New to the forum only. I just aquiredmy 2d Trapdoor and because it had been mutalated I strippied her down and am building a carbine out of it. It's going to be a shooter with no collection value other than it's an original 1873, serial #234xxx. From what I can see, maybe made in 1884???? The stock was crudely cut off in front of the rear band and was probably some guys deer rifle, years back. I cleaned the stock down to the bare wood and put a new piece of walnut on it from under the rear band, out 6 inches. Turned out nicely. The wood in this stock is beautiful. I have never seen grain such as this walnut has, in a military weapon. Because the metal is not real nice, I have sandblasted all metal parts and I'm Parkerizing it. The small parts are done and come out looking good. I have the barrel left to do. I cleaned up the muzzle end of the barrel which is now 24 inches. The bore has it's bit of pitting but I think with paper patched boolits, it may do just fine. There is the normal pitting where the stock was on the barrel and I think it will be good when parkerized. That seems to cove a small amount of sin, on the outside.
I think I'm going to end up with a fair looking Trapdoor when it's complete. I'm excited about it. I had another rifle, years ago but as a fool traded it for something. I regretted it ever since. I got into this one fairly reasonable and won't have much into it. There's something about the old gals that I love and the history behing each and every one, would be fun to know.

SMOKEY
12-19-2013, 06:27
Welcome sir. We have several very knowledgeable gents on the trapdoor

musketshooter
12-19-2013, 06:45
I doubt that you will have any luck or accuracy using paper patched bullets in a rough TD barrel. Try as-cast lead bullets first.