PDA

View Full Version : Trim it case trimmer??

joem
12-18-2013, 09:23
There is a advert in SGN about a product called "Trim-It" that claims it can be used with a cordless or electric drill or drill press. It appears to have micrometer adjustments and trims cases from .17 to .338 cal. It's $97.50 plus S&H. I tried the listed web site (www.eztrimit.com) but no luck. Anybody knoe about this product?:icon_scratch:

Parashooter
12-18-2013, 03:02
Website works OK for me. Try a different browser? http://www.eztrimit.com/

Looks like an interesting device, but marginally more costly and significantly less versatile than lathe types like the Forster - to which one can easily attach a power drill or screwdriver, even without buying an adapter like this $20 item -

http://www.forsterproducts.com/product_images/catalog19938/PA1000_CaseTrimmer_Power_Adapter.jpg

"Power Adapter for Case Trimmers. Turns any Forster hand trimmer into a power trimmer. Fits Original, Classic, or .50 BMG. Here is an easy, affordable way to turn your Forster hand trimmer into a power trimmer. Simply remove the handle from your trimmer and replace it with this adapter, then use any electric screwdriver or power drill to provide the power. The cutter shaft and the stop collar are unchanged so accurate case length settings are maintained. It's a great way to make better use of your limited reloading time because in "power mode" you'll be able to trim more than 200 cases per hour."

joem
12-18-2013, 03:37
I called the company and they sent me the instructions in a E-Mail. I have a Lyman drill press trimmer that I use once in a while but it's very hard to set up the trim length. I sent back a E-Mail with a list of questions about it's operation. I'll see what I get.

psteinmayer
12-18-2013, 06:39
I've been using the Lee trimmers for years. The case lock can be used with a hand drill, drill press, or lathe... or by hand for you younger guys with good hand strength! Best of all, they are absolutely fool-proof. Because of the design, it's impossible to over trim a case. You have the cutter and case lock, and then you change the shell holder and mandrell for each caliber. Each caliber kit is less than $6.00, and the case lock/cutter kit is under $10. I have them for all of the calibers I load (9mm, .45 ACP, 38 spl, 357 Magnum, 30-06, 30-40 Krag, and 7.7x58mm Jap) with one exception (10.4mm Italian Ordnance)... but I use a modified 9mm for that one.

Matt Anthony
12-19-2013, 03:39
That's alot of money, but if it works and someone likes it, so be it. I myself have used an RCBS trimmer with a drill for years and have worn out the shaft and bearings to the tune of 4 times. Even though I use gear lube, those parts wear, but RCBS has always sent new pieces when the clearances go over 3 thousands. Changing to the newer style quick release that replaces the collet style was a good change.
For my benchrest centerfires, I chose the Wilson trimmer which uses a case holder for each cartridge caliber. The Wilson trims perfectly and since I am not in a hurry on my benchrest cases, time isn't a factor. Wilson tools in my opinion are more precise that all the others combined, their seating dies absolutely align the bullet and the neck and the bullet is seated straight.
Matt

joem
12-19-2013, 04:47
I have 2 Dillon power trimmers, a RCBS manual trimmer and a Lyman drill press trimmer so I guess I really don't need another trimmer. The part that I am interrested in is the ability to use it in a drill press. The Lyman is difficult at best to set the length of the trim. This looked like it might be suitable for use in the drill press.

joem
12-19-2013, 01:26
I heard back from the factory on this trimmer. A die is required for each caliber and costs $14.95. So far they have five or six different dies.