PDA

View Full Version : Border patrol shotgun fake?

albert
12-07-2013, 03:11
At the local gun show was a Stevens 12 ga. It was about 90% condition at $375. On the side of the stock was a brass plate about 2"x4" held with four brass studs which said something like border patrol del...Texas. There was another brass plate with the weapon number. The plates were well worn. My unknowledgeable friends said it was a fake . Should I. Go back for a buy? Anyone ever seen a border patrol shotgun with brass ID plates?

bigskybound
12-07-2013, 03:24
What model Stevens?

scosgt
12-07-2013, 07:17
There are many agencies that put markings on their guns. I have had shotguns from the Illinois State Police and the Idaho State Police. A while ago there were a bunch of AR-15's from the Washington State Patrol.

It does not matter if it is a fake, they don't bring much if any premium. Old Police shotguns generally sell on condition. An average condition Police 870, absent the gun craze this year, is a $225 gun. Many Ithaca 37's from Buffalo NY Police were around at one time. $250-300, depending on condition.

You probably did not miss anything.

Now, if it was a M97 or M12, we might be singing a different tune. They are quite interesting to collectors, especially the M97.

albert
12-08-2013, 07:21
It's a model 620 no hear shield or bayo lug. Probably right I didn't miss anything. Thanks.

scosgt
12-08-2013, 09:49
IF it was US WWII marked it would probably be of some interest.

amac
12-08-2013, 03:15
They bring whatever the next guy is willing to pay. It sounds as if it could have been owned by a border patrol agent that added the brass tag...who knows. If it was aged along with the gun its on and if it was reasonably priced, I'd have bought it. Sounds like a unique old shotgun. Who cares if its not listed in the "gun values" section as a scarce shotgun.
How many have you seen like it?

Tom Trevor
12-12-2013, 11:38
Why would there be a big brass plate on a shotgun that would be carried in the field looking for illegals or drug runners? Might as well be blowing a fog horn at the same time.