PDA

View Full Version : Getting Started-info request

Haulroad
12-05-2013, 09:53
Any recommendations for what I need to get started for reloading. I've been looking at Lee products but would like advice.

I'll be reloading 30-06, 30 carbine and 9mm.

Thanks.

joem
12-06-2013, 05:28
I started out with a Lee press and dies. It wasn't long before the pot metal links broke and had to be replaced. Only $2.00 each but I knew I needed something better and stronger. I bought a Dillon 650 $$$$. Later I shoped E-bay and bought RCBS. If I were to start over and knowing what I now know, I would buy a RCBS kit that has everything you'll need except dies, powder and bullets. You can up grade it to a Loc & Load bushing which speeds up die change. You can make good reloads with Lee and in fact I own two. Long term RCBS will outlast you no mater how hard you use it.

Major Tom
12-06-2013, 07:18
RCBS is #1, but, expensive. Lee makes a good economical product. I have used a Lee 4 turrent press and dies for thousands of rounds and no problems except the gadget that turns the turrent is lousy, I turn it by hand now. Base your decision on how many rounds you will be reloading and how many calibers you may have now and in the future.

psteinmayer
12-06-2013, 06:13
I have an older Lee Challenger Press, and my links broke ages ago. My brother made replacements out of steel stock and I've never had another problem. Been loading with it for almost 30 years now and I've been happy as a clam! I also use Lee dies. I guess if I was going into the ammo business, or intended to shoot thousands of rounds every year, I could see a need for something more expensive, but I only load a few hundred rounds each of the ammo I shoot (30-40, 30-06/M2 Ball, 7.7x58, .45 ACP, 10.4 Italian, 38/357) every year, so my ole Lee equipment does just fine... and hasn't failed me yet!

adrians
12-06-2013, 09:15
I started out with the Lee challenger kit and it served me well until I could afford to upgrade , the press is still used (for sizing my cast bullets),, now my bench is mostly green in color ,rcbs/ redding stuff.
I think to get into reloading Lee is a great place to start.

You'll find yourself "upgrading" for the rest of your reloading life, when the addiction take a hold of ya,.

OH and don't forget to gab the MOST important piece of equipment a few good load manuals, :icon_study:

Hefights
12-06-2013, 09:22
How much will you shoot?

joem
12-07-2013, 04:52
" I only load a few hundred rounds each of the ammo I shoot".

I was at the same place when I started but I couldn't keep up with the amount I shot. Boxes of spent brass kept growing until I bought the 650 and even then it took some time to catch up.

dave
12-07-2013, 06:06
Save the money you would spend on Lee and get better, as you will end up getting better anyway! I got a Lee and only use it for pistol now, went to rcbs for the large stuff. For pistol buy carbide dies, more money but worth it!

JimF
12-07-2013, 06:39
You may as well start out with what you'll end up with . . . . . (and save a ton of money in the long run!)

Get yourself the RCBS Rock Chucker (and all the related equipment) and . . . . . KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Try to get an OLDER press (made in America . . . . NOT China).

Gun shops sometimes have these older Rock Chuckers 'cause some people THINK they need to trade up to some of the latest progressive presses (BS!)

When looking at used presses, check to make sure the ram is still a tight fit in the press casting! Keep this ram CLEAN and LUBRICATED and you'll get a lifetime of heavy use out of your "simple" press!

Become a "handloader" . . . NOT a "components assembler"!

Pay attention to details . . . Quality over quantitiy! --Jim

Maury Krupp
12-07-2013, 09:36
Listing 9mm as one of your primary calibers points strongly in the direction of a progressive press. For the quantities of pistol ammo most people use loading single-stage very soon becomes an exercise in tedium.

For me my Dillon 550 has been all the press I've ever needed. If I was a benchrester or similar then a single-stage might have more appeal; but I'm not and they don't.

When I want bags of blammo I can crank it out at 500 rounds per hour (and let's face it except maybe for 50yd bullseye all pistol is blammo).

If the task or situation calls for it I can do everything I could do on a single-stage - only faster. I load rifle match ammo semi-progressive and it holds the 10-ring out to 1000yd (me maybe not so much :icon_redface:).

Another brand of press may suit your needs better but when you're looking at buckets of empty pistol brass any progressive press looks pretty good.

Maury

PhillipM
12-07-2013, 11:30
+1 what Maury said. Buy once, cry once. http://www.brianenos.com/store/dillon.ez.550.html

kiwidon
12-09-2013, 03:48
+1 on the loading manuals as they contain a wealth of info for the beginner!

psteinmayer
12-09-2013, 06:22
Well, I'll agree that in the case of my .45 ACP ammo, a progressive would be nice. When I load .45, I usually load at least a couple hundred at a time. The main roadblock to my not buying a newer or better press is cost. I just can't swing the cost right now. In a year or so, who knows... I also agree about carbide pistol dies. No lube necessary, and the make things fast and easy!

For loading 10.4 Italian, there are no die sets available so I have to use a .303 British sizing die to size, and also to crimp. I use a .44 Russian powder through expander die that has been modified for the shorter 10.4 cases. These loads have to be very carefully loaded because the brass is thin (Fiocchi brass, some of which is converted Berdan). But since commercial ammo is not available, handloading is the only option. Brass can also be made by cutting and resizing .44 special cases, but I prefer to use the Fiocchi if possible!

Now here's a point I'll stress... Get a GOOD powder scale. I used to use the Lee Dippers. When I purchased a scale (when I started loading .45), I started weighing my dipped loads and found that the measure can vary up to 4 grains or more from dip to dip. I've never relied on a load since that isn't weighed! Remember, when loading some pistol ammo, the powder load is very small (like that 10.4 Italian - the load is only 4.0 grains of Bullseye...) so even a 1/2 grain difference can spell disaster!

Paul

KeithNyst
12-09-2013, 10:12
I started a couple years ago and decided to go with the Lee Classic Turret. I don't shoot thousands of rounds a year; it fills my needs nicely for .45, 9mm, 30-06 and 308.
Here is a list of the items I've picked to learn and get started during these first two years. The list excludes powder, bullets, brass ad primers.

http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy263/KeithNyst/Keith1/ReloadingBasicToolsoftheTradeList.jpg (http://s798.photobucket.com/user/KeithNyst/media/Keith1/ReloadingBasicToolsoftheTradeList.jpg.html)

dave
12-10-2013, 07:50
My Lee was a progresive but the indexing was so bad I now turn it by hand. As I said I use the Lee for pistol only. Dillon is the beast (liftime warrenty on parts, no charge even for mail!) but you have to load allot to justify cost. I don't any more.