PDA

View Full Version : Inland 6.9M hand stamp.

statesman
12-04-2013, 09:21
I recently purchased a very nice 6.9M hand stamped Inland, with a 2-45 Inland barrel. The gun is correct throughout. Since at the time of production, Inland had both a M1 & M2 production contract, and any given barrel or receiver could end up being an M2, were the late production Inland receivers and barrels manufactured more robust to handle the effects of sustained full auto fire?

I realize that many carbine components were improved/updated during production, such as slides, extractors, ejectors, flat to round bolts, etc., but I don't recall ever reading whether there were any improvements in the metallurgy or upgrades of the barrel or receiver. Seems like the little carbine would take a beating in M2 form, when utilized in combat.

oldtirediron
12-04-2013, 10:16
Over the last 25 years I have had many handstamped M-1 carbines also a bunch of the that have nothing after the "M" -- Looking at many guns over the years I have seen M1 with the 2 overstamps on them in many serial number ranges. I also saw a "No Stamp" carbine with all the internals of an M2 but without the selector or the trip lever ! Looking at a lot of demilled carbine parts I also saw the same configuartion of "M" no stamp carbines with all m-2 parts-- So many may have been delivered that way IMHO !

Tuna
12-05-2013, 11:01
The steel used in the carbine from the start was as good as could be produced at the time. It was never changed and the durability of the carbine remained the same from the beginning to the end. Changes in parts design were a constant on going process. Most Inlands that were stamped 2 over the 1 were done when it was upgrades with the addition of the M2 parts after it left the factory. Done by the military most often during the Korean war time frame. A 6.9 Inland would date to about April 1945. Inland only made M2 carbines during that month.

statesman
12-05-2013, 02:22
Thanks Tuna for the detailed information. I always appreciate reading your posts.

Johnny in Texas
12-05-2013, 02:30
Statesman is yours hand stamped 1 or 2 and how is the front sight and the bayonet band marked? Is the mag catch M1 or M2 type ?

statesman
12-05-2013, 10:18
It's a hand stamped 1, the front sight is marked "R" on the top, and the type III barrel band is marked "SI". The mag catch is a M1 type.

Johnny in Texas
12-06-2013, 03:54
Is the stock an M1 or M2 stock?

thanks

statesman
12-07-2013, 09:41
OI marked M1 stock and handguard.