PDA

View Full Version : Novice-Level Stock Question

gunboat57
12-01-2013, 02:22
I have a black plastic sporter forestock and buttstock for a No1 MkIII Lee-Enfield which I've had for years. Can't recall the brand. But I'm looking for a cheap barreled action to put into this stock to use as an open sights hunting rifle. My question is, will a No4 Mk1 barreled action fit? I think the buttstock would fit but what about the forestock? Would it just be a matter of opening up the barrel channel or are there other issues that would make it not worth the trouble?

Edit: the stock is Advanced Technology International brand

gunboat57
12-03-2013, 02:19
I have to add, I have put some time, effort, and expense in restoring 3 SMLEs and one No4 Mk1 to "original" configuration in my firearms experience. I'd much rather see a rifle restored, if there's a reasonable chance, than sporterized. But now and then barreled actions show up, and I would kinda like to have something that looks like a Lee-Speed sporter in my gun safe.

Guamsst
12-05-2013, 11:43
They do not interchange exactly, but if you are handy with a dremel you should be able to make it work. I wouldn't bother though. The stocks are readily available and I'd sell this one and buy another sporter for the correct action.