PDA

View Full Version : First 1922MI (M2). What'd I buy exactly?

MSU Marksman
11-27-2013, 05:29
On a bit of a whim I acquired my first Springfield 1922MI. I've wanted one for awhile now and this was a bit of a deal as it was "sporterized" with an after market stock. Outside of the stock, I'm curious how much of this rifle is original?

The rifle has a M2 bolt and magazine, which would imply it was upgraded at some point. However, it looks it still has the factory 1-31 barrel. I imagine the bluing was aftermarket as well.

Also, the barrel and receiver are drilled and tapped. I'm hoping this was factory and not aftermarket, but I can live with it either way.

Another curiosity I have is with the muzzle and front sight. Is that the factory crown and sight? Or was the Redfield insert an add on? Also, it has the Lyman 48S rear sight. I thought they only shipped with either the 48B or 48C.

The 1922MI almost looks like it was stamped with a "2". If it was done at the factory, wouldn't they have added the "B" after the serial number?

I'm pretty sure the bolt doesn't match the receiver either, but it's pretty hard to read.

And now for some pictures.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y295/Marksman6mmbr/Firearms/DSC_0648_zps70429043.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y295/Marksman6mmbr/Firearms/DSC_0650_zpsbbcc73bb.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y295/Marksman6mmbr/Firearms/DSC_0651_zps2be9e5a3.jpg

Herschel
11-28-2013, 02:13
1922M1 #19847 does not appear on my SRS list. The next closest numbers are 19845 which is shown as being sold on 6-17-30 in an NRA stock. The next closest number is 19867 which is shown as being sold on 9-17-31.

#19845 would have been and NRA Sales 1022M1, which means it would have been in the browned finish and with holes drilled and tapped for scope blocks. In my opinion it is likely your rifle was drilled and tapped for scope blocks at SA. The Lyman 48S and the front sight blade would be aftermarket. Without a picture I can't give an opinion as to whether the stock is a cut down NRA stock or if it is and aftermarket stock. Either is possible. I have observed several 1922M1 rifles with the 2 overstamp. I think the barrel might be original. I have not observed a close correlation between receiver numbers and barrel dates. My 1922M1 #19468 has a 3-30 bbl and my number 19582 has a 11-29 bbl. I would like to see a photo of the stock on your rifle.

The rifles made up for issue to DCM affiliated clubs came drilled and tapped for scope blocks as did those made up to sold as 1922M1 NRA rifles.

Herschel

JimF
11-28-2013, 04:33
. . . . . .Also, the barrel and receiver are drilled and tapped. I'm hoping this was factory and not aftermarket, but I can live with it either way. . . . . .

Look carefully down in the front-most hole in the receiver ring.

Do you see the thread of the barrel shank in there?

If you do, the receiver holes are most likely SA original . . . . .

If not, they were most likely done AFTER the rifle left Springfield.

Most smiths would NOT remove the barrel to D&T a receiver . . . therefore the thread would NOT be visible! --Jim

MSU Marksman
11-28-2013, 08:47
So it's current blued form was likely done later down the line and not original.

I looked down the front hole and saw barrel threads, so it looks like it was done at SA.

Any thoughts on the front sight band itself? Could the band be original but the insert be swapped out to a Redfield? It's somewhat interesting that it has a 48S rear sight as well.

The stock is 100% aftermarket sporter style. It in no way resembles an issued stock.

It's a little unfortunate that the bolt doesn't match, but it's a trade-off I can manage with for not having any extra holes drilled. I did buy it to be a shooter and no a collector, so I'm happy with it.

JimF
11-29-2013, 03:42
. . . . . .

The stock is 100% aftermarket sporter style. It in no way resembles an issued . . . . . .

Any chance of a picture of the butt plate?
How about a shot of the full length rifle?

Might be, you have a SA "NRA" stock!

The front sight barrel band is original to the rifle. --Jim

MSU Marksman
11-29-2013, 02:50
Looks like it's a Herters stock, or at least a Herters buttplate. It's wearing a Timney trigger with an aftermarket trigger shoe as well. Definitely not a collector, which it exactly what I wanted.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y295/Marksman6mmbr/Firearms/DSC_0658_zps1d3ba274.jpg

Dick Hosmer
11-29-2013, 03:52
Nice looking rifle! How does it shoot?

Bolt handle has been altered too, I'm sure you knew that.