PDA

View Full Version : Springfield M1861 musket, what to do?

M1Garandy
11-27-2013, 10:53
I was asked to look at an 1862 dated Springfield M1861 musket last weekend. The story I was told is that the owners have had it in the family since the Civil War. Overall, it looks to be a basically solid, full length, mostly original piece.

At some point in life, the barrel, bands and ramrod were probably cleaned with something, perhaps steel wool or sandpaper. They were not destroyed, but you can tell that they have been played with. Presumably at the same time, the stock and the lock were varnished or shellacked. I see no markings on the stock underneath the finish. There are 6-7 tiny brass tacks in the side of the stock in the shape of an "I" that have been there a LONG time. They are so small, I almost missed them.

Right now, the finish on the wood is peeling a little and much is missing from the lock. The barrel, bands and rod have some light rust freckling on the exterior and the bore has some light rust as well.

The owners have it above the fireplace currently. I was asked what if anything to do to/with it so I figured I'd ask here on their behalf.

Should they leave it be or clean it up? If they clean it up, what to do or not to do?

Based on my description, any thoughts on value?

Thanks.

holdover
11-27-2013, 01:11
others will have opinions here is mine. Value depends on condition and originality, The varnish/whatever that was applied can come off with paint remover but the finish of the stock underneath will determine part of the value. It would seem that the cartouches have been sanded off, that is a minus. The barrel was originally bright, what does the bore look like. Any providence to the soldier in written form like discharge papers etc., although the words" buy the gun not the story" are important. How is the bore? Original ramrod present, any pitting on the buttplate, bands and TG. Many of these are still being shot at N-SSA. Price in today's market can range from 750-2000+ just depends on what it is and what has been done to it. As to restoring it best find someone who knows what to do rather than a refinish type of restorer. If they are not interesting in selling might be best to keep it the way it is. Above the FP might not be the best place to keep the old smoke pole.. I sold one a few years back that had great wood, mint bore, non-pitted metal, original in every way for 1500, I would say the rifle was close to NRA fine, prices have risen sonewhat since then

M1Garandy
11-28-2013, 09:22
To my knowledge, this musket has no paper trail. The owners aren't planning on selling it but I did recommend to them to try and document the history the best they could.

The ramrod was present and looked to be an original. The bands were not pitted, nor was the trigger guard or lock, nor was the buttplate though the buttplate and lock had whatever finish was on the stock applied to them as well. The lock, trigger guard and buttplate were fairly dark in color, almost brown under the finish. The nipple was in tough shape, presumably from being dry fired for 150 years. The clean out screw slot is a bit wallowed out but it was present. The bore had some light surface rust and had not been cleaned.

An old family story says there may be a jellybean that has been rammed into the bore by a previous generation of the owners family.

This is not a pristine musket but it looks like it could be nicer than many I have seen on GB and the like if it receives a little TLC.

Thanks.

Dan Shapiro
11-28-2013, 01:36
Depending on where they live, they might consider contacting a conservator at a major museum. At the very least they might get some do's and don'ts. Hanging it over the fireplace is okay, as long as the fireplace isn't being used.

musketshooter
12-01-2013, 08:07
Old varnnish and shelac do a good job of preserving wood and metal. If they do not want to clean or oil the gun, leave it alone. Once removed, maintenance is required. If the bore is plugged, be very careful trying to remove the obstruction. I would treat the gun as loaded. Try an air pressure ball remover before proceeding to clean or oil the barrel.

M1Garandy
12-01-2013, 02:02
Thanks to all that responded. I'll pass this along to the owners.

John Sukey
12-03-2013, 11:03
All metal ork was originally bright. Perhaps cleaning that and and applying (though I hate to say it) a clear coat over the metal. At least that would preserve it for the future.

jjrothWA
12-07-2013, 09:46
Contact either Dixie Gun Works or "The Horse soldier" shop in Gettysburg, PA, either should have a conservator service that they deal with. Or call the Log Cabin in Lodi, Oh.
The Kendigs may direct you further.