PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Model 97 Riot Gun Question

w10085
11-25-2013, 06:20
I'm going Friday to look at an old 39x,xxx (all the numbers I could remember) riot gun. How can I tell if it is a real riot gun or a cut down? I've looked on line enough to know it is about 1908 manufacture but I'm not sure what details to look closely at. Ball park, what is a 30% riot gun worth and what is a 30% cut down worth? I have been told it's stiff but appears to function correctly.

Thanks!

scosgt
11-25-2013, 06:45
Real riot guns are marked "cyl" on the barrel.
Very few were made in that era, mostly they are cut downs.
It is worth whatever you choose to pay for it.

w10085
11-25-2013, 09:02
Thanks for the info. I'm going into this assuming that it's a cutdown. I'll post some pictures this weekend. I asked about value because it is a older gentleman selling it and neither of us know what the market price would be. I want to offer a fair price. I will post some pictures before I make an offer.

joem
11-26-2013, 04:52
"It is worth whatever you choose to pay for it." And how bad do you want it?

scosgt
11-26-2013, 11:25
It is impossible to guess a value on a gun sight unseen.

w10085
11-27-2013, 01:21
"It is worth whatever you choose to pay for it." And how bad do you want it?

I have seen this type of reply many times on forums. What purpose does it serve? I just ask what the market value of a 30% Cut Down Winchester Model 1897 was. I would be my responsibility to determine if that value was applicable to the gun I was looking at. Thanks anyway for taking time to respond.

scosgt
11-27-2013, 02:57
I have seen this type of reply many times on forums. What purpose does it serve? I just ask what the market value of a 30% Cut Down Winchester Model 1897 was. I would be my responsibility to determine if that value was applicable to the gun I was looking at. Thanks anyway for taking time to respond.

And you will see it many times again. No one can place a value on a gun sight unseen, that may not even be original. Other factors include if someone has cut the stock or installed a butt pad, extra holes drilled in the receiver, buggered screws, dents in the barrel or mag tube. There is no right answer, so none will be given.

w10085
11-27-2013, 06:01
And you will see it many times again. No one can place a value on a gun sight unseen, that may not even be original. Other factors include if someone has cut the stock or installed a butt pad, extra holes drilled in the receiver, buggered screws, dents in the barrel or mag tube. There is no right answer, so none will be given.

I completely agree with you that sign unseen, nobody can tell me what the gun I'm going to look at is worth. Even 5 or 6 pictures probably aren't enough. I was just looking for a ballpark value on a "30% Cut Down Winchester Model 1897". I wanted to get my mind right before I looked at it. Is my "straw man" $200 or a $800 gun? While I have not posted much on this forum since it was redone, I'm been into collecting for 40 years. I just have never looked into older shotguns. I posted here because I normally collect military weapons and I know a bunch of smart people hang out here. Thanks again for your thoughts.

BTW, your input on the fact that very few riot guns were made in this time frame and look for "cyl" is just the type of info I was looking for. This will help me figure out if it is original, but I'm not expecting it to be. Thanks again.

leatherneck1903
11-27-2013, 07:03
I'm going to try to give you an educated guess based upon years of gun collecting and attending shows with these type guns hanging around. A 30% cut down 1897 would range in price from $150.00 -$250.00. At 30% I am assuming there is little if any original finish remaining. The bottom end price is with more than just finish issues, such as mechanical issues or drilled holes. The upper end price would mean mechanically solid without any extra holes or stock problems. Basically, the sum of its parts and value for home defense or hunting. I hope this answers your question.

w10085
11-28-2013, 05:54
Thanks scosgt and leatherneck1903 for the info. I feel much more prepared to go look at the gun now. My bet is the owner will think it is worth more than that and that is fine. I won't know what it's worth to me until I hold it.