PDA

View Full Version : S&W Victory

barretcreek
11-25-2013, 04:50
Friend picked up a Victory, s/n 507183. Left side has stamping "IA CO SAC C(?)" which I assume is importer's graffiti. The left side of the top strap is marked with an ordnance bomb U.S. Property G.H.D. Are those the inspector's initials? It looks like a 4" barrel.

Any information about its travels would be appreciated. Thank you.

Tuna
11-25-2013, 06:40
G.H.D. are the initials of the inspector at S&W during the war. Imported by IA Co. Sacramento California. It sounds like it was Navy issued in 38 spl. with a four inch barrel for the Navy and Marine pilots.

Johnny P
11-26-2013, 07:27
G.H.D. are the initials of Brigadier General Guy H. Drewry, who was in charge of inspection and acceptance of all small arms manufactured in the Springfield Ordnance District. People under his command did the actual inspections, and his initials indicated that the weapon had passed all inspections and was accepted by Ordnance by his authority.

His initials are also found on Colt 1911A1 pistols, Winchester M1 Rifles and M1 Carbines, and Winchester Shotguns.

John R.
11-26-2013, 07:50
G.H.D. are the initials of Brigadier General Guy H. Drewry, who was in charge of inspection and acceptance of all small arms manufactured in the Springfield Ordnance District. People under his command did the actual inspections, and his initials indicated that the weapon had passed all inspections and was accepted by Ordnance by his authority.

His initials are also found on Colt 1911A1 pistols, Winchester M1 Rifles and M1 Carbines, and Winchester Shotguns.

My Model of 1928 Thompson( It's a Overstrike with U.S. in front of the Model and A1 after the 1928) also has GHD on it so Savage/Stevens in Chicopee Falls must have been in the Springfield Ordnance District too.

Cheers Johnny,

John R.

Johnny P
11-26-2013, 01:51
It appears that Colonel Frank J. Atwood, head of the Rochester Ordnance District, wanted his initials on everything. This is a M6 scabbard for the M3 knife with his initials. Have also seen binoculars with his initials.

http://i42.tinypic.com/2rwuiya.jpg

BruceHMX
11-26-2013, 03:35
IA Co imported most if not all of the 38 S&W Victories from Australia in the late 80's. They normally had the FTR stamp along with the D/D sold out of service stamp on them. Seldom do the grips match the gun. But for the most part IA got the best of the lot. Case color is usually excellent as well. I was told years ago that when they were FTR'ed if the case color was dull or gone new hammers and triggers were installed. Make sure to check timing and lock up on all 6 cylinders. If it's a 38 S&W naturally it will not chamber 38 Special. 38 S&W is still available and can be reloaded to the original 38/200 specs if wanted. Post some photos if you can.

Tuna
11-27-2013, 06:52
If I remember right the S&W British contract guns were all five inch barrels in .38 S&W. The four inch barrels would indicate a USN pistol in 38 SPL.

emmagee1917
11-27-2013, 11:11
As a general rule , that is correct. There are a few exceptions to the rule , as well as 6-inchers ( pre-Victories IIRC ) and some 2-1/2 inchers.
Chris