PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 52D

hvymech
11-24-2013, 11:13
How many Win. 52D rifles were made total and how many went to the military?
TIA hvymech

n64atlas
11-24-2013, 01:33
More than what was in House's (SIC) book. CMP Released over 2000 D's, They might have barreled receivers yet.
They even had a few E's available. Most of the military ones will have US on the receiver. The stocks are a dark oil finish. Some have stripped this finish to make them look like a commercial rifle.
Here is my US property 52C and D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/n64atlas/Trainers/b787f12d.jpg

seewin
11-25-2013, 12:22
I have been maintaining a data base of 52D & E serial numbers for about 20 years. Currently, there are approximately 1,400 D serial numbers for which I have records. Of these 1,400, 960 rifles are known CMP/Government contract rifles, and about 100 of the balance are question marks for which I have no record. So, 70% of the numbers I have currently have are Government contract rifles. I really question whether this is an accurate percentage, my guess, probably closer to 50% were Government rifles.
As far as total production, the D numbers start at about 1052XX, and run up to right at 12268X. This equates to about 17,500 serial numbers. As to whether all serial numbers = rifles produced is not known for certain. I can tell you that my list of serial numbers has no large gaps that would indicate a substantial grouping not produced.
Hope this helps. I continue to maintain this info, and invite anyone who has not contributed their s/n's to help out. Info can be emailed to me at seewinr@aol.com. I do not divulge owners name, and in fact, it is not even necessary to send me your name, just s/n with model type( hvy, std wt, International, etc), commercial or government contract( government rifles typically have a rear swivel and more often that not, "U.S." etched into receiver above s/n), and lastly current configuration, (Many of these rifles have been modified and changed over the last 50+ years)
Steve

n64atlas
11-25-2013, 02:11
Steve: Don't remember if I sent you my D serial number. I will send you a PM on it.