PDA

View Full Version : SRS check on new acquisition

wayne
11-21-2013, 03:18
Just got an excellent condition 1884 Trapdoor and wonder if anyone would please check the records for me. Serial number is 441190. Many thanks in advance.

Tom Trevor
11-21-2013, 05:52
Your in luck, yes it is listed in SRS data base.

wayne
11-22-2013, 06:58
Mr. Trevor:

Thank you very much for looking. I'm 69 years old, and this is the first time I've gotten a rifle with some type of written history. Can you please tell me the particulars and if it would be worth the costs of obtaining a letter from SRS?
Again, many thanks for your kind help.

Tom Trevor
11-22-2013, 07:27
It would not be worth the money in this case and the time ivolved would be long. The rifle was in 1898 with co. B 10 th. Ohio volunteer infantry. An on line check of their history shows that they never left the U.S. for any overseas service. The complete unit roster is on-line but all a letter MIGHT tell you is the name of the soldier it was issued to. Glad to help.

wayne
11-22-2013, 08:27
Mr. Trevor:
Thanks for your prompt reply. It would be neat to know who carried the rifle. Maybe I'll split with the $100. to SRS sometime in the Spring just for the satisfaction of being able to put a letter with the rifle.
Again, many thanks for your assistance.

carbineone1964
11-22-2013, 12:39
I do not know what the heck you are trying to pull here. A fast one.

You need to put up some pictures. It is required now..

wayne
11-22-2013, 01:58
I do not know what the heck you are trying to pull here. A fast one.

You need to put up some pictures. It is required now..

I am not savvy enough to post pictures here, but, will gladly email them to you if you would like to see/post them.

wayne
11-25-2013, 09:46
It would not be worth the money in this case and the time ivolved would be long. The rifle was in 1898 with co. B 10 th. Ohio volunteer infantry. An on line check of their history shows that they never left the U.S. for any overseas service. The complete unit roster is on-line but all a letter MIGHT tell you is the name of the soldier it was issued to. Glad to help.

I just noticed that above the U.S. on the butt plate, there is a small capital "G". Could it be Company G instead of Company B? Interesting!
Stranger than fiction.....my Grandfathers cousin was in Co K 10th Ohio Volunteer Infantry.

da gimp
11-26-2013, 05:32
wayne, despite what the newbie said, you are doing right fine sir......... you have violated no rules of any kind, & your politeness & civility is refreshing sir. Heck we'd all enjoy good pix of any fine old weapon & the more of them the better, they do help the experts to really see what you have too............... Check on back posts on this & other boards, about how to post pix, several of the guys have posted detailed instructions on posting them.