PDA

View Full Version : It's NOT cracked!!!

Bob S
11-20-2013, 02:16
See my post "Wallhanger" below. After a pressure excursion in my 1895 Winchester-Lee, I thought I could see cracks on the feed ramp. One of our members here took pity on me, and I now have a "new" barreled receiver ... with the same marks on the feed ramp. Almost identical. Which leads me to think that something else is going on here ... "furrows" from feeding pointy modern bullets?. Marks I did not "see" before because I was not looking at that area closely? At any rate, I decided to PT them both, and there were no indications. The marks are surface scratches only. And as a bonus, my "new" barreled receiver has a better bore than my "old" one. ::headbang::

Next will try a cast load I got from an older Ideal handbook; virtually a .22RF on steroids. At long as they will go through the 10-ring at 200 yards, I'll be satisfied.

psteinmayer
11-20-2013, 04:02
That is incredible news! And by the way... SCORE (with the extra barreled receiver)!!! So glad that it turned out good for you.

Paul

Bob S
11-20-2013, 09:03
Bob:

Shhhhh ......

Dick Hosmer
11-20-2013, 10:56
That's great news, Bob! Don't know whether to say this or not, but, when looking at your original pic a couple of weeks ago, I almost posted that I didn't think it was cracked, but felt it would be very presumptuous of me to "correct" someone who was looking at it in living color and 3-D. Glad my hunch was right - and good luck making it, or both of them, shoot!

jon_norstog
11-21-2013, 08:55
That's great! Have fun shooting it!

jn

madsenshooter
11-21-2013, 10:50
Bob, previous slip o the lip deleted, good luck. If not this time around, they do come up from time to time, sometimes not listed correctly. That thing has got to be close to 1.2" long!

Bob S
11-22-2013, 06:48
Bob,
I have both of the shorter Loverin designs, 496 and 497. Based on my work with the extreme 7.5" twist in the 6.5 Swedes, the shorter bullets might actually work better in the extreme 7.5 twist in the W-L. I know it's counter-intuitive, but that's what my testing with the 6.5x55 would seem to indicate. But I will go after the longer bullet, just because .....

Resp'y,
Bob S.

Bob S
11-22-2013, 06:52
Dick,

There was more to it than the obvious parallel "furrows". I thought I could see small cracks elswhere; but my eyesight is not what it was 40 years ago when NDT of welds was part of the my job. At any rate, the cost of the dye penetrant supplies was money well-spent, and I'm happy to have two sound barreled receivers. And I ended up with a better bore than I started with. ::happy dance::

Resp'y,
Bob S.

madsenshooter
11-22-2013, 01:36
Bob,
I have both of the shorter Loverin designs, 496 and 497. Based on my work with the extreme 7.5" twist in the 6.5 Swedes, the shorter bullets might actually work better in the extreme 7.5 twist in the W-L. I know it's counter-intuitive, but that's what my testing with the 6.5x55 would seem to indicate. But I will go after the longer bullet, just because .....

Resp'y,
Bob S.

I hear you, I'm experiencing some of what you might run into with a 1.22" long 6.5mm bullet in an Arisaka that's been rechambered to 6.5x257. Bullets are tumbling, going through the target at an angle, skidding through the dirt then coming back up and over the hill somewhere. No traces of lead to be found in the bullet tracks, at 23BHN+ they're like FMJs. I think the brass that I formed from 06 is too thick at the base of the neck and is sizing them down a little. I'm trying to shoot a .270 bullet in a .268 groove diameter, so a little extra sizing isn't wanted. Working on those cases right now.

madsenshooter
11-26-2013, 09:37
Well, Bob did you get it?

Bob S
11-26-2013, 09:56
No. I got "distracted" by "work", that thing I have to do to pay the bills. It's OK, I have 3 or 4 6mm moulds that should work well.

Resp'y,
Bob S.

madsenshooter
11-27-2013, 08:45
Ahh, darn it. Well maybe next time it will end at a time more convenient for you.