PDA

View Full Version : Krag Oiler and 3 piece cleaning rod

RCK
11-19-2013, 09:00
A friend wants to sell an oiler and the three cleaning rod sections for $60. I am interested but want to know if that is a good price. Is it too high, low or about right?

Dick Hosmer
11-19-2013, 09:50
I'd say it is probably on the lower edge of just about right - not a "steal", but neither is it rape.

The Krag item to watch for in musty old boxes at garage sales or gunshows is the brass muzzle covers - seems like they have gone from $20 to over $100 in the blink of an eye.

Dan Shapiro
11-19-2013, 10:23
The Krag item to watch for in musty old boxes at garage sales or gunshows is the brass muzzle covers - seems like they have gone from $20 to over $100 in the blink of an eye.

Got that right! I was "lucky" enough to pick up one for $70 a couple of years ago. Seems they're worth their weight in gold now.

Still looking for a Trapdoor wiper tip.

Dick Hosmer
11-19-2013, 11:04
Another tough find, and to make things worse, they have been reproduced, which AFAIK, the covers have not. It is getting VERY important to be able to recognize "old". Anything that looks too good to be true, probably is.

Even more valuable, and hard to find - cannot remember the last time I saw one - are the steel carbine sight protectors - I'm looking for a couple of those, myself (but I won't pay $200 for one either - besides, I need something to look for, since any new gun is basically out of the question)

sdkrag
11-21-2013, 09:25
I thought that S&S advertised reproduction muzzle covers.

Dick Hosmer
11-21-2013, 12:14
You might well be right - I haven't looked at their site in awhile. If so, the price of originals has not eased!

sdkrag
11-21-2013, 04:11
I'm glad I picked mine up in the old days. I didn't have to worry about reproductions. I thought I'd gotten a real buy at $30 until I saw Bill Mook's collection. Every weapon had a muzzle cover. He told me he paid .50 for apiece for them. Oh well :).