PDA

View Full Version : Ithaca "Double Stamp" 1911 A1 Pistol

rcmkhm
11-19-2013, 04:01
I was in a local gun store and saw an Ithaca 1911A1. It is in the 1.21 million serial number range, which would be correct for a double stamp Ithaca. The Slide has the Model 1911 A1 US ARMY roll stamp but the stamping is crooked. It is the exact same font and size as the 1911 markings on the frame but it is stamped at a slight angle. Is this bubba or could they have stamped this at an angle by mistake. I don't see how they could do that with a slide secured but you never know. Thanks! Chip

Johnny P
11-19-2013, 06:19
Bubba could not have stamped it, but it could have been engraved by a pantograph machine. If the store is not asking a premium it was probably just an error in the stamping.

rcmkhm
11-19-2013, 06:30
It definitely looks roll-stamped and is identical to the one on the frame. I wish I could have taken a picture but the guy nearly threw a fit when I asked him if I could disassemble it. Not sure whey a gun shop would care but I didn't even want to ask if I could take a picture after that. It is just slightly off of being parallel with the straight edges of the slide. Maybe 5-10 degrees off. Definitely noticeable. How do you tell if something is engraved versus roll-stamped?

Scott Gahimer
11-19-2013, 08:26
Here is a post from another board. It's not the same pistol, obviously, but it does explain some of the things to look for when trying to determine is something is struck, rolled on or engraved.
http://www.coltforum.com/forums/colt-semiauto-pistols/69374-here-s-one-you-want-watch-3.html#post513448