PDA

View Full Version : Value of 1911a1 1944

Sun yah
11-18-2013, 10:46
Hi, I was wondering about the value of a 1911a1 1944 production colt us army pistol. The finish seems to be original and in 90+ condition, will add pics when I get to take a look this afternoon. Seller says it has all the right marking for sn, ghd crossed cannons, p's. The serial number is in the 17000xx which would by my understanding make it one of the first hundred parkerized with the checkered trigger, hammer and slide stop. The thing that I'm most interested about is the fact that its lacking the stamped s on the frame when disassembled, which would indicate it's not seen field service hence the what seems to be great original finish. A buddy from work is offering it to me so I have no concerns about being ripped off unless he doesn't know what's what, but it does seem too good to be true. I had a 45 production which had seen service and by the looks been to hell and back so im somewhat competent that ill be able to find all the stamps and identifying factors. But still any help with verifying authenticity and value would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Johnny P
11-18-2013, 12:48
Where did you find the information that an S on the receiver indicated field service?

What is he asking?

Sun yah
11-18-2013, 01:29
I saw that info about the stamps on coolgunsite's 1911 pages. He's asking 2k but I'm sure he could be talked down. Is there anyway to upload a pic from storage? I some saved to the computer today

ignats
11-18-2013, 05:30
I see where he picked that up from:

S: located after finish by the disconnector on top of the frame indicates field service.

However, I believe that is incorrect. My understanding is that was a marking for guns that were for the commercial market. They show a picture with that stamp so I'm guessing it's for some other reason. I don't think I've ever seen with that "S".

Sun yah
11-18-2013, 05:41
Yep that is the exact quote I read. Thanks for the info ignat, that's the big mystery surrounding this gun. I've spent a bit of time researching that mark and have come up with nil. My best bet is going to be learning from collectors and experts like yourself.

ignats
11-18-2013, 05:48
You need to buy a Clawson's guide if you're considering buying pistols in the $2K range. The book is a fraction of that amount and can really be a help.

Johnny P
11-18-2013, 06:30
The information on the checkered trigger, hammer, and mainspring housing don't make sense either.