PDA

View Full Version : Filling in the slot on Colt revolver hammers

ignats
11-17-2013, 10:22
I watched a video where the guy shows how he fills in the small slot that's machined into the hammer of Colt revolvers. He claims this is what causes caps to be pulled off the nipple when fired and dropping it between the hammer and frame which he states and I agree, is common problem. He uses JB Weld to do this. Anyone here try this? Is it worth the effort? I'd try it and probably will anyhow, but I haven't got any JB Weld on hand at the moment. THanks.

older than dirt
11-17-2013, 08:10
I`ve done it on my 44 Navy (I know they never made a Navy 44) but that`s what it was called. Anyway I did it to that one & my Walker. Yes it does work & it`s worth doing it. Ya for JB Weld.

ignats
11-18-2013, 05:40
I went ahead and did my Uberti open top 1860 Army. It does seem to work as most of the caps, although broken and cracked stayed on the nipple until I cocked the hammer to rotate the cylinder to the next chamber. Then they would ball off to the side which is great. One or two came off when the hammer was cocked causing them to fall between the hammer and the frame. By flicking the gun sideways it flipped the cap out of there, so I'm a believer.

Major Tom
11-19-2013, 12:46
That's what they did 150 years ago; flick the revolver sideways to throw out the cap.