PDA

View Full Version : Best ARs?

GA-Dave
11-14-2013, 10:55
I've seen references to a list of the best AR manufacturers. It seems the list is no longer available on the web page. Does anyone have a copy?

It compared th equality of the manufactured parts against true mil-spec.

Thanks,
Dave

gwp
11-14-2013, 11:23
Here is the reason “The Chart” is difficult to locate.

4 December 2012 Update: I no longer have the time or desire to maintain the Chart. Because of this, it would not be right to continue to publish a document I am unwilling to maintain

He still provides an "Explanation of Desirable Features in Commercial M4 Pattern Carbines".

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsEuEhjFwPrgTA&single=true&gid=5&output=html

BigMo
11-14-2013, 01:29
You mean this?

Google is your friend:

http://gunfacts.webs.com/M4Chart1.gif

gwp
11-14-2013, 04:28
You mean this?

Google is your friend:

http://gunfacts.webs.com/M4Chart1.gif

The sheet posted was created over four years ago and the information listed is as of the Fall of 2009. This information may not apply to current products. Specification can change even at Colt.

BigMo
11-15-2013, 12:52
Ok, Just trying to help.....................

Do you have a better (more current) one? You pointed out that "Rob S" had one current as of December 2012. Help the OP out and post it for him?

Has the OP brought up a touchy subject with you or something? I'm just trying to help him out...............

gwp
11-15-2013, 01:36
My response can be dismissed as “comments from a grumpy old man”.

After rob_s removed the spreadsheet from his site (1 March 2011 Edit: For a variety of reasons, the Chart in all forms has been removed from this document). The only copies generally available were saved earlier and they were not linked for updates. The list posted rifles from several companies that no longer exist and several that were purchased by other manufactures.

BigMo
11-16-2013, 12:43
Oh Ok. Did not know that about the creator of the lists. I just grabbed it off google and posted it. I was not aware of the drama behind it.

bd1
11-16-2013, 03:35
Youtube has a video by Denny Ducet that'll help you get current. I don't have the link available to me right now but if you google his name and youtube it'll present itself. I found it checking out BCM's M4geries.

In fact, if you're looking at just about any make/model of AR15 platform tacticool rifle to get a read on its conformance with M4 mil-specs, there's probably an informative youtube video on it by now.

GA-Dave
11-17-2013, 06:52
Thanks guys, I had Googled it, but had been unsuccessful in finding it. I realize it is not up to date, but it is interesting.

I guess technically t has nothing to do with best quality (however you want to define it) just closeness to mil-spec. Many of the items are really not important to the civilian user. I've heard nothing but good things about Rock River but have heard that DPMS has issues - and they are both at the lower mil-spec range.

-Dave