PDA

View Full Version : Stevens 77E Repark?

Svensson
11-13-2013, 10:34
I managed to find a used 77E within my budget last summer, and it's been in the process of becoming usable since. Still need a few minor parts, but recently I have been thinking about having it reparkerized. The attachment shows the general condition of the receiver that is consistent with the rest of it. The barrel is a bit better, having only scratches in the finish, for the most part. The bolt also has some large wear areas on it. This is an original military 77E with the SCHD stamp as well. It is a type 2 dating to around 1967. Based on the condition, should I have it reparkerized? I ask because I am pretty new to military/collectable firearms.

scosgt
11-13-2013, 10:49
Leave it alone. It is what it is, no reason to change anything.

James B.
11-13-2013, 04:37
With the original finish and honest wear it's worth more than a repark and probably wouldn't look right anyway. It's only original once so I agree, complete the restoration job "a few minor parts" and enjoy it for what it is and not what you wish it was. I must have been out of the loop a while, just what is the SCHD stamp you referred to?
JB

scosgt
11-13-2013, 04:49
I think it is South Carolina Highway Patrol (or maybe it is a D for Department).
A number of them have surfaced marked that way.

Svensson
11-13-2013, 06:52
So there's no reason to worry about any of the rust? Only reason I would want to repark would be for preservation and functionality. I was told that it was South Carolina Highway Department. I plan on using this for general shooting and maybe a little living history/reenacting. Should be good that it has some character. I need to find a new recoil pad for it, and I'd like to have an extra stock on hand as well. Anyone know where I might be able to find one?

amac
11-17-2013, 07:14
Just keep it oiled up and leave it as is. JMHO