PDA

View Full Version : Remington 1903 (not A3)

Viking Guy
11-09-2013, 02:26
Gents,

I've got a nice Rem 1903 receiver S/N 31231XX. Looking through various on line sites, the manufacture date seems to be March or April 1942. It may be unrealistic, I'm in no hurry, but I want to put an original barrel on it and restore it to the extent I can. My questions are: Does that S/N number appear to be correct for a 3/4-42 date? And, how far on either side of that date can a dated barrel reasonably be expected to fall, i.e., how many months before or how many months after the receiver date?

TIA

VG

Rick the Librarian
11-09-2013, 02:30
The manufacture date I would estimate is more in the May to June, 1942 area. I have seen barrel date "variations in the 2-3 month range or less.

TDP0311
11-09-2013, 04:33
Speaking of Remington 1903s, there is a possible USMC one on gunbroker right now... Price is pretty steep, not sure on SRS, but this rifle looks great. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=375426373

Dave in NGA
11-09-2013, 05:18
VG, I hope you have better luck than I had finding a Remington 03 barrel of the correct date. My Remington 03 (3059125} had a 12-41 barrel on it orginally. The bore was shot out and totally trashed. The best I could do was a used Remington 03 barrel dated 3-42. It had to be counterbored to group.

All this was after ordering a supposed 03 Remington barrel which turned out to be a reworked A3 barrel with a rear sight base added. Someone made up a bunch of these bogus barrel using 2 groove A3's and cutting two more grooves. So when it comes time to purchase your Remington barrel "buyer beware".

Rick the Librarian
11-09-2013, 05:19
The seller has an overactive imagination, as well as a price I would say is about double what it is worth. It is not a M1903A1 and most Remington M1903s did NOT have replacement SA barrels. Most Remingtons that I have examined or been made aware of still have original Remington barrels. The only thing I see on the rifle that might be USMC is the stippled buttplate; one of the easiest parts to "replace".

Doug Douglass
11-10-2013, 04:54
Speaking of Remington 1903s, there is a possible USMC one on gunbroker right now... Price is pretty steep, not sure on SRS, but this rifle looks great. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=375426373

Steep? wow starting at $1795...not suprised at no bids

Viking Guy
11-11-2013, 04:44
Thanks, Guys.

The quest begins!

VG

TDP0311
11-13-2013, 12:31
I was browsing through gunbroker and took another look at that Remington 1903 I posted earlier that is listed for nearly twice its value... the owner said it has a Springfield barrel- and that most did, which of course isn't true.

Come to find out, he was fooled by the army flaming bomb... it isn't a Springfield barrel, sure enough right above the bomb is a clear R A denoting it is an original Remington barrel. Just thought I'd share... Perhaps after this auction ends he will re-evaluate his prices, as this rifle does look to be in excellent condition.

John Beard
11-13-2013, 08:27
I was browsing through gunbroker and took another look at that Remington 1903 I posted earlier that is listed for nearly twice its value... the owner said it has a Springfield barrel- and that most did, which of course isn't true.

Come to find out, he was fooled by the army flaming bomb... it isn't a Springfield barrel, sure enough right above the bomb is a clear R A denoting it is an original Remington barrel. Just thought I'd share... Perhaps after this auction ends he will re-evaluate his prices, as this rifle does look to be in excellent condition.

The gunbroker rifle appears to exhibit an overhaul proof mark from the San Antonio Arsenal. An authentic USMC rifle would not likely exhibit that proof mark. Using an expression from animal husbandry, the USMC buttplate apparently "jumped the fence."

For what it's worth.

J.B.

Kurt
11-13-2013, 09:02
Darn, now I have to clean my keyboard! "Using an expression from animal husbandry, the USMC buttplate apparently "jumped the fence."

springfield3
11-14-2013, 12:16
Hello,
PM sent about a barrel
Bob

Viking Guy
11-15-2013, 10:46
Bob,

Check your mail

Viking Guy
12-16-2013, 05:36
One more question on this 1.2M Remington 1903: Should this rifle have the older bolt i.e.,

Is marked with a large "R" underneath the handle.
Has a curved handle.
Has a smooth body.
Has a milled extractor collar.
Has bolt stop detents in the left locking lug.
Has a small gas escape hole between the locking lugs

I'm able to ask these questions due to what I have found on this forum, in particular from John Beard and Rick the Librarian. The bottom line is I'm trying to restore this piece to original configuration and I'm pretty confident on what should/should not be milled or blued, etc. It's just the whole bolt thing that is throwing me off as I'm more used to 1903A3's which seem to be a whole lot simpler.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas to All!
VG

John Beard
12-16-2013, 07:54
One more question on this 1.2M Remington 1903: Should this rifle have the older bolt i.e.,

Is marked with a large "R" underneath the handle.
Has a curved handle.
Has a smooth body.
Has a milled extractor collar.
Has bolt stop detents in the left locking lug.
Has a small gas escape hole between the locking lugs

I'm able to ask these questions due to what I have found on this forum, in particular from John Beard and Rick the Librarian. The bottom line is I'm trying to restore this piece to original configuration and I'm pretty confident on what should/should not be milled or blued, etc. It's just the whole bolt thing that is throwing me off as I'm more used to 1903A3's which seem to be a whole lot simpler.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas to All!
VG

The correct bolt for your Remington rifle, S/N 3123xxx, would be as follows:

(1) Have a very small "R" stamped underneath the handle.
(2) Have a curved handle.
(3) Have a smooth or semi-smooth body.
(4) Have a milled extractor collar.
(5) Would NOT have bolt stop detents.
(6) Would have a large gas escape hole.

Hope this helps. Merry Christmas!

J.B.

Emri
12-17-2013, 06:45
Here is you a source of parts for your project. You will still need to find a correct bolt though.

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/12556513

Good Luck with your project !!

Emri

Viking Guy
12-17-2013, 07:03
Thanks, Guys. You have been an immense help! You've also saved me money by me not picking up the incorrect parts.

VG