PDA

View Full Version : M1922 ejection is weak

Johnny in Texas
11-08-2013, 11:08
Was doing a little basement shooting tonight. I was shooting several U.S. marked .22 rifles I have, first a M144 Mossberg then a 52C and my M1922 SA rifle and it was by far the best smoothest action of all. but many cases did not leave the receiver. Where can you find an extractor for one of these?

JimF
11-09-2013, 05:37
Save your money . . . There is nothing wrong with your rifle!!

You've discovered an inherent weakness in the ejection cycle of this action.

The fact that there is only ONE extractor on the bolt is the culprit.

Operate the bolt slowly . . . With a spent case in the chamber.

Observe how the case is drawn back with almost NO "control" by the extractor in holding the case against the bolt face.

By the time it is withdrawn far enough for the ejector to come into play, the case has almost left the bolt face . . . Giving the ejector little to interface with . . . Hence the case is sometimes left in the receiver.

Most other .22 rifles have MUCH better extraction control due to having DUAL extractors . . . As you have found out!

With these other rifles, upon extracting these cases slowly, their cases are held tightly against the bolt faces.

By the way . . . .

The Krag rifle also suffers from "lazy" ejection . . .but due to different causes! --Jim

dave
11-09-2013, 07:04
Several older Moss. 22's (the 1930's) have only one extractor. I have encountered no problem with these. The second so called extractor is really a spring devise which does hold the case tight, the ejector knocks it out from under this 'spring'. if it was an 'extractor' with a hook the case would not extract at all. You have to bring the bolt back quickly and smartly when cycling and you will not have as much trouble. As long as the case is withdrawn from the chamber the extractor is good.

Weasel
11-09-2013, 10:42
I have a 1922, 1922M1 modified to M2 and a 1922M2. I have never had any problems with them ejecting the casings.

Kragrifle
11-10-2013, 03:45
Look at the end of the extractor. It may be worn or a portion broken/worn off. eBay or Gunbroker are good places to start the hunt .

pelago
11-11-2013, 08:26
i have several of these rifles and shoot them quite often they are accurate and just plain fun to shoot,
Numrich has extractors, get two not expensive
hardest thing to find is the spring that holds magazines in. and magazines, numrich has magazines also, they are repros but they work

Johnny in Texas
11-11-2013, 09:43
Thanks for the info. everyone! Very fun to shoot!

Doug Douglass
11-13-2013, 06:21
If you were born in 1922 your extractor would also be weak !!