PDA

View Full Version : I may be picking up a really cheap sporterized Enfield, and I want to try something.

bernie
11-06-2013, 05:55
I have a chance to pick up a heavily sporterized Enfield #4 Mk1*. This one is beyond saving as anything but a sporter.

I have always wanted a short carbine length rifle, so my first thought is to have the barrel bobbed shorter. The existing front sight that is on it, is razor blade thin, and very difficult to see, as well as fairly fragile. Even if I do not shorten the barrel, at a minimum, it will need a new front sight, and I would prefer something similar to the original issue sights. What I would really like, though, is to bob the barrel back to about 18" and put a front sight on it similar to the issue sights. Where could I find front sights that might fit the bill for a project like this?

Numrich has front sights, but I have no idea how they are mounted to the barrel.

Any input on this project would be appreciated.

Art
11-06-2013, 06:48
What kind of sight is on it now?

If you cut the barrel back having a No 4 Mk 1 front sight might not be practical. I find the issue sight butt ugly on a No 4 Mk 1 sporter but that's just me. You might consider going to a good gunsmith and discussing your options.

Griff Murphey
11-06-2013, 07:33
You need my folding South African stock!

Barryeye
11-07-2013, 02:18
You need my folding South African stock!

Tell us more Griff or better show us.

bernie
11-07-2013, 04:54
Currently the front sight is some kind of an aftermarket job. It looks like the best way to get it off is to cut it off. The barrel is not original in configuration either. The front end has been bobbed so that it is only the aftermarket sight and a normal type crown, not the normal No. 4 front end.

JB White
11-15-2013, 03:29
Bernie, you could always do away with the charger bridge. Not needed on a sporter and contrary to what some may say, doing so doesn't have an adverse effect on the receiver.
The Lee Enfield was originally made w/o a charger bridge as were plenty of factory-made sporting rifles.
When the bridge was added, it was for rapid reloading in battle, not for structural integrity. Some wil contend it's different on the No4 because the bridge was forged into the action body and not riveted as was on the No1 rifle. Again...so? It was only a production shortcut. The No4/EAL rifle was produced not only sans charger bridge but with lowered side walls as well. No problems with those! :)

No need to let the bridge influence your choice of sights.

Art
11-18-2013, 04:30
I agree with JB White on removing the charger bridge. My SMLE sporter has the charger bridge removed. It provides a cleaner look, more like the old Lee-Speed sporters and doesn't compromise anything structurally.

Guamsst
11-18-2013, 05:34
Uhm, before you go cutting a bunch of stuff off, what kind of rear sight does it have? are you planning to scope it?

Have you considered just building it as a N05 clone?

Art
11-19-2013, 07:50
Uhm, before you go cutting a bunch of stuff off, what kind of rear sight does it have? are you planning to scope it?

Have you considered just building it as a N05 clone?

Very good point Guam

Guamsst
11-19-2013, 06:53
Well, I recently picked up a No.5 clone someone had "smoothed off" by cutting off that stupid ugly charger bridge.....and thus turning it into a very nice parts gun :(

JB White
11-20-2013, 08:11
Well, I recently picked up a No.5 clone someone had "smoothed off" by cutting off that stupid ugly charger bridge.....and thus turning it into a very nice parts gun :(

...or a very fast handling and somewhat nostalgic truck gun. How is the bore and action body? I discovered most "sporters" were in good shape before being cut. When you think about it, there was really no point in converting a poor shooting surplus rifle into a hunting rifle. Secondly, if that was all someone could afford odds are in favor they probably took better care of it if they were actually using it.
If you can get past the point of seeing it what used to be....a desireable (and pricey) collectors piece. Unortunately once Bubba gets his sleazy and greasy paws on it, the only thing we can do is attempt to breathe a different life into it. So long as he left enough behind to allow it to be restored with a little dignity.
Having been cut already, it will never be anything but a sporter. How nice a sporter depends upon how much "Bubba" tried to improve it. Some guys actually did acceptable work back in the days of $8 and $12 Enfields by the barrel full.
I had a slick deer rifle based on a chopped and bobbed '43 Maltby. If I hadn't been offered a good dollar by a Wisconsin deer hunter I might still have it.
My former 98K is now a 7.62x39 (my doing) but retains the gorgeous 1950's schnabelled walnut stock "Bubba" once used to make it his 8mm deer rifle.

All I'm saying Guamie is to sleep on it a bit before totally parting it out. Some parts might be used to recoupe some costs of taking it the next step beyond while the basic chassis will still offer many years of service.

Guamsst
11-20-2013, 12:42
...or a very fast handling and somewhat nostalgic truck gun.....

With no rear sights? They cut off way too much and there is no way to attach a standard rear sight. There is also no place to mount one of those scope mounts that doesn't have to be drilled. They spent about $250 turning it into a No5 copy with no rear sight.

Oddly enough, it's easier for me to get a replacement receiver than to get all the other parts.