PDA

View Full Version : Eddystone Questions

sdkrag
11-03-2013, 04:43
I have messed with Krags and 03's for years, but have never taken a good look at the Eddystone I've had in the closet for 30 + years. Is it unusual to find an Eddystone with a Winchester barrel? I have a real mix of parts when I get down to brass tacks. Eddystone action,and trigger, Winchester bolt and barrel. Remington marked parts too. I believe this weapon went through WWII inspection as the only cartouche present is Elmer Keith's on each side of the stock. Any of you 1917 collectors have any wisdom to share with me?

Dom13
11-03-2013, 05:03
I am relatively new to 17's so I do not under any circumstances consider myself an expert. But FWIW I have an Eddystone with a Remington barrel Reminton front sight Remington bolt, Winchester trigger guard and Winchester stock so I would say it's just a mix master and perfectrly normal. I'm sure a rebuild. As for the details on that the experts will have to way in.

Dad
11-03-2013, 07:26
The three manufactures of M1917s (Eddystone, Remington and Winchester) did not share parts. During arsenal overhaul, parts were swapped around.
As originally made as Eddystone rifle would have had all Eddystone stamped parts.

Arsenal overhauls, along with use and modification/parts swapping by civilian owners since they left military service, is why most M1917s around are "mixmasters".

Here is a very informative web page concerning M1917 part markings.

http://m1903.com/m1917markings.htm

D. :1948:

dave
11-04-2013, 05:44
That is correct---and I'm sure everyone knows that the Eddystone plant was leased and run by Remington? So there was really only two makers.

sdkrag
11-04-2013, 08:41
Thanks for the replies. Sort of surprised me when I got to looking. I always assumed it was pretty original. I like it due to Elmer Keith's cartouche. He was a salty old guy.

Dad
11-04-2013, 02:48
Here are some pictures of my M1917, also with Elmer Keith's cartouche.
The stock appears lighter in the pictures than it really is...
It has all Eddystone stamped parts.
I believe it was assembled in the first half of 1918 (S/N 869XXX, barrel dated 5/18).

D. :1948: