PDA

View Full Version : USMC front sight seen on dicumentary by John Ford about Midway

pelago
10-30-2013, 08:31
can see the hoods clearly on one of the marching scenes on the beach where US Marines trooping the colors, and
one scene is a burial scene towards the end and one can clearly see the distinctive outline and shape of the USMC front sight blade
just posted this out of curiosity sake, been looking at a lot of old video and this is the absolute first without a doubt sighting, i have watched 100's of hours of Guadalcanal, and thought i could see the hooded sight but never a clear not a doubt shot

Art
10-30-2013, 10:56
can see the hoods clearly on one of the marching scenes on the beach where US Marines trooping the colors, and
one scene is a burial scene towards the end and one can clearly see the distinctive outline and shape of the USMC front sight blade
just posted this out of curiosity sake, been looking at a lot of old video and this is the absolute first without a doubt sighting, i have watched 100's of hours of Guadalcanal, and thought i could see the hooded sight but never a clear not a doubt shot

The changeover to the USMC sights was never 100% completed and neither was their removal.

There is a famous photograph of General Vandergrift on Guadalcanal on a field phone. The M1903 rifle with the bayonet fixed leaning on a tree beside him clearly has a USMC Front sight hood. A couple of other Guadalcanal pictures I've seen aren't as definitive but also appear to show USMC front sight hoods. I view it as a certainty that while not all, or perhaps even most M1903s carried by the Marines early in WWII, including on Guadalcanal retained the Marine Corps sights many did.

RCK
10-31-2013, 10:14
I have acquired several of the USMC front sight hoods over many years. I assume they bring a premium over the standard sight cover. What is the range of value for original USMC front sight hoods on todays market?

mkrad
10-31-2013, 12:13
I see them go for $75-80 when folks have them in stock. Numrich offered some a little more than a year ago for $25, and they were gone in one day.

The consensus from those who ordered them was they were the real deal.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=87528&highlight=USMC+sight+protector

Art
11-01-2013, 03:58
I see them go for $75-80 when folks have them in stock. Numrich offered some a little more than a year ago for $25, and they were gone in one day.

The consensus from those who ordered them was they were the real deal.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=87528&highlight=USMC+sight+protector

That sounds about right, pricewise. I bought one from Scott Duff for $50.00 bout ten years ago, so $75.00 sounds about right for an authentic one today.

Phil McGrath
11-02-2013, 09:04
The changeover to the USMC sights was never 100% completed and neither was their removal.

There is a famous photograph of General Vandergrift on Guadalcanal on a field phone. The M1903 rifle with the bayonet fixed leaning on a tree beside him clearly has a USMC Front sight hood. A couple of other Guadalcanal pictures I've seen aren't as definitive but also appear to show USMC front sight hoods. I view it as a certainty that while not all, or perhaps even most M1903s carried by the Marines early in WWII, including on Guadalcanal retained the Marine Corps sights many did.

I agree, I have a Surplus Firearms mag with a picture from what looks like the late 30's time frame could even be from early 40's with a Marine shooting a 03 with Marine rear sight and hood.

TDP0311
11-04-2013, 01:42
I've been scouring the web and local gun shows for an original USMC front sight hood... no luck yet. Maybe one day I will come across the real deal. Good news is I haven't come across any fakes yet either.

Art
11-04-2013, 05:54
TDP0211,

Try googling Joe DeChristopher if he's still alive and in business, or Bill Ricca. DeChristopher is a crusty old guy and isn't cheap but his stuff is all G.I. and exactly as advertised. Don't get discouraged if you want something and don't see it on his site. He has all kinds of stuff squirreled away that isn't on line. Call him and ask.

pmclaine
11-04-2013, 05:58
While looking for a USMC original hood you could use one of Bill Bentz replicas. He also makes replicas of the front side and the rear #10 peep sight. He just makes quality stuff sold for the utility of the peice not as a means to try and fool someone with fake gear.

Garden Valley
11-04-2013, 08:15

Try watching the scene in Guadalcanal Diary where they have only just arrived and a Jap sniper takes a shot at them. The Marines hit the deck and there are several rifles with the USMC sight hoods. I assume the Corps likely provided the rifles for that movie.

TDP0311
11-05-2013, 10:46
Thanks for the lead Art, I will give him a call tomorrow.

pmclaine, I've seen Bentz's replicas and agree they are outstanding for utility use.

TDP0311
11-11-2013, 02:45
I have a book called "Semper Fi, the definitive illustrated history of the Marine Corps," and while browsing through the Guadalcanal photos I noticed that in the pictures with 1903s visible, the rifles all had sight hoods, but a few stragglers had the smaller front sight hood instead of the larger #10 hood. I'll see if I can get a picture of it...

TDP0311
11-13-2013, 10:36
FYI, sarco has USMC font sight hoods right now