PDA

View Full Version : What is the proper position of a holster for Colt model of 1917

Truman
10-29-2013, 06:15
I have acquired a nice belt, holster and 3 pocket ammo pouch for my Colt model of 1917. The ammo pouch obviously goes on the snap. But does the holster go next to the ammo pouch or on the opposite side and why? This was surely meant for Calvary use was it to control the horse or use of a saber? Thanks Truman

Johnny P
10-30-2013, 06:06
The holster for the Model 1917 revolver goes on the right hip, revolver butt to the front. When the holster was first made it was issued primarily to mounted troopers, and the thinking of the day was that it would be drawn with the left hand. It wasn't until the Model 1912 pistol holster that common sense prevailed and the pistol was worn butt to the rear. Military traditions die hard.

George in NH
10-30-2013, 12:36
To continue the thread........the Model of 1942 holster for the (Colt or S/W)M1917 revolver carried the butt to the rear. Such revolvers were generally found in the hands of MP's or service troops who were usually not too near the front lines. Butt to the front carry was for mounted troops to shoot with the left hand, use the saber with the right hand and control the horse with the legs. At least this is the written record that I read so long ago. George in NH

Johnny P
10-30-2013, 01:22
By the time the Model 1917 Revolvers were put into service the saber and cavalry charge were as dead as the dodo.

ignats
10-30-2013, 05:08
I believe General John Buford of Gettysburg fame abandoned the sabre and had his troopers armed with breech loading Spencer carbines. While researching, I ran into this on Wiki:

"Sabers were used more frequently by Northern cavalrymen. They were terror weapons, more useful for instilling fear in their opponents than as practical offensive weapons; Confederate cavalrymen often avoided them simply because they considered sabers to be outmoded, unsuitable for the modern battlefield. One Southern cavalry commander noted that the only times during the war he used a saber was to roast meat over a fire. (There were instances in the war in which Union cavalrymen taunted their opponents to "Pick up your sabers and fight like gentlemen!") Despite Southern attitudes towards such weapons, there were several notable instances where the saber saw much use by both sides, including the Battle of Brandy Station and the cavalry battles on the third day of Gettysburg. The American Pattern of 1860 Light Cavalry Saber was lighter than the typical European saber, the latter being similar to the older U.S. Model 1840 Heavy Dragoon "wrist breaker". The curved blade of the saber was generally sharpened only at the tip because it was used mostly for breaking arms and collarbones of opposing horsemen, and sometimes stabbing, rather than for slashing flesh. (A notable exception to this was the saber of Nathan Bedford Forrest, which was sharpened on both edges.)"

That sounds like Forrest and maybe Josie Wales.

Wreck Checker
10-30-2013, 06:36
Here is a photo of my Grandfather Kenneth R. Jensen @ Camp Roberts, Calif. circa Dec. 1941 wearing a M1917 Revolver.

emmagee1917
10-31-2013, 09:49
Even by the civil war , cavalry very often fought dismounted with thier rifles. Firing from a moving horse is very inaccurate , to say the least. Shooting left handed from such would not add a lot to your group size. Most people were / are right handed , and thier saber abilities would be hampered by left hand use. So therefore , right for saber , left for pistol.
Remember , however , that a young , thin , flexable man can easily twist his hand and draw right handed from a butt forward right hip holster far easier than he could a right hip mounted saber. They were setting thier gear for the best use of all weapons .
Chris

Johnny P
10-31-2013, 10:19
When the holsters were ordered for the 1000 Test Lugers some in the military tried to have the holsters made with butt to the rear, but as mentioned, military traditions die hard and the holsters were butt to the front. With the adoption of the Model 1911 which had the safety lock, magazine release, and slide stop positioned for right hand use, the butt to the rear holster was finally achieved in the Model 1912 holster.

Maury Krupp
10-31-2013, 11:39
The M1917 revolvers and their holsters were wartime fill-ins. I doubt much thought was given to what type of holster to use. It's likely they just adapted the design from the last type of revolver holster - which happened to be butt forward.

A butt forward, left-hand pistol design does make sense in the context of what a 19th Century cavalry mounted action was expected to be. Lots of stabbing, slashing, point blank blasting, and slamming into stuff with horses at a full gallop. X-ring accuracy at 50yd wasn't part of the pistol picture.

FWIW, the "new" 1912 cavalry equipment still included the saber as part of the standard field gear and U.S. Army doctrine still included the mounted charge (albeit sans sabers) as late as 1942.

Maury

Johnny P
10-31-2013, 12:09
As noted, military tradition dies hard. Even with the carnage suffered in WWI from massed machine guns, someone still thought the mounted charge a viable military maneuver. It had been shown earlier that the mounted charge was not effective against infantry.

Andouille
11-01-2013, 02:11
As to last cavalry charges, here's this ( I accept no responsibility for the accuracy therein ):

http://suite101.com/a/the-last-cavalry-charges-a66100