PDA

View Full Version : November 22,1963

Ron James
10-26-2013, 09:32
On November 22, 1963 I was TDY to a UH-1 L-9 turbine factory school in Manheim, Germany. Seems like I was always going TDY to some school or the other, if it wasn't a Tech school it was the NCO academy. As usual I was low on money so I was siting on the edge of my bunk shining my boots listening to the latest songs being piped in when they broke in with an announcement that President Kennedy had been hurt in Dallas. Yeah, OK, what did he do, stub his toe? A couple of minutes latter they broke within , "The President has been shot". Set stunned and disbelieving the radio. The command went to Defcom 4. Looked out the window and all I could see was people rushing out with field gear and weapons ( if you are going to start a war, kill the leaders first was the rational ). I could hear tanks starting and moving to Start Lines , Convoys were lining up, the world was going crazy and here I was, no field gear, no weapons, nothing but the TL 29 I had stole from my tool box. The Radio came back with the announcement that" The President Was Dead ". Yes, November 22, 1963 is one of those dates that if someone asks " what where you doing on that date, you remember every detail as if it was yesterday.

lonewoolf
10-27-2013, 05:38
I was a jr in high school, the announcement came over the school speaker while I was in Chemistry class. You are correct...I remember it like it was yesterday.

phil441
10-27-2013, 07:11
I was stationed at Seymour Johnson AFB in Goldsboro N.C. I was visiting one of my shop mates on the back balcony of his rent house when his wife came out and told us she had just heard on the radio that Kennedy had been shot in Dallas.
Being one of very few people on base with Texas plates on their car I got some some strange looks in town for awhile.

emmagee1917
10-28-2013, 12:25
We were having lunch in the school cafeteria ( 2nd grade ) when they made the announcement over the speakers. Everyone got very quiet . Some started to cry.
Chris

George in NH
10-28-2013, 12:26
22 Nov 63........As an Army brat, my parents, my two brothers, my sister and I were at the Pentagon, ground level, getting our passports for PCS from Fort Belvoir to Stuttgart. People were rushing through the hallways in all directions. My Dad said to "stay here" and left. He returned shortly with the news about the President. The rest of the time is somewhat of a blur. We rotated just after New Years. George in NH

DarylBruce
10-28-2013, 03:15
I was working at my first full time job after graduating high school as a mechanic helper. We were on brake when someone came out of the office with the news. The old guy next to me said " It's about time." Most other comments were along the line of "I'll be dam.". We went back to work.

blackhawknj
10-28-2013, 09:35
My freshman year of high school. I was in Latin Class, rumors started to fly. My school did not have a PA system, then ALL the teachers were called to the principal's office at once. School was not dismissed, but we sort of just drifted away. I tell people we all spent the rest of that weekend stunned and numb.

4F4Nam
10-29-2013, 09:10
I was in science class with Ms. Hall (who was very good looking, and had a helluva rack!) Junior high but don't remember what grade. (I was 13) Principle came to door, called Ms. Hall out. She came back in saying the Prez had been shot, and left the room. A few minutes later she came back in and announced that the Prez was dead. Guy across the aisle from me snapped his fingers and said "I got him this time". Don't really remember anything else about that day.

Ed

madsenshooter
10-29-2013, 11:07
I was in 1st grade in Hopewell, Ohio. I know lots of kids were crying. The thing I remember the most is a 3rd grade girl crying and saying that she was going to vote for him.

Griff Murphey
10-30-2013, 05:23
I was in 9th grade at Stripling Junior High School in Fort Worth, Texas. The entire student body was called into the auditorium and the assassination was announced by the principal. This was done about 2PM. The rest of the day to 3:45 I do not remember much happening but they did run all the way to regular quitting time. As far as emotion I do not remember anything other than just shock, I think we were too young to appreciate all of the permutations of ths act. I always have wondered if we would not have "won" Vietnam with an actual combat veteran as president, vs. an airplane passenger who was awarded a Silver Star because Saburo Sakai missed...

John Sukey
10-30-2013, 10:11
Had just pulled up to a Circle K (convenience store) when I heard it on the car radio.

Michael Tompkins
11-03-2013, 05:11
I was almost 4 years old living in Apple Valley, MN. I remember my parents standing in the living room in front of the TV crying. It's a very vague memory, but when I asked them about it years later, they told me that is what they did. Very sad day, ideed. Mike

goldwing
11-03-2013, 05:35
I was on launch duty with nuclear missiles at Sembach Germany when the report came over the radio. We went to our highest alert and stayed there for days. Don't remember when we came back to normal alert. BIll

Col. Colt
11-04-2013, 10:54
I was being driven into downtown Kansas City, MO, with other grade school kids in my parent's Chrysler, to attend the indoor Ringling Brother's Barnum and Bailey Circus in the City Auditorium. I even remember the spot in the road where I heard the announcement. It was a pretty somber Circus performance, with proper speeches by the Circus Management, very respectful. When the performance finally happened, everyone was pretty subdued. CC

BruceHMX
11-07-2013, 06:24
Was at Fort Campbell, KY 9mos old. Jumping up and down in the day crib while Mom was watching General Hospital. Dad told me years later they went on full alert for days.

JohnMOhio
11-07-2013, 09:30
I had been discharged from the Air Force 30 days before. On that particular day, I had stopped to fill up the gas tank somewhere in the mountain area of New York State when the "attendant" asked me if I had heard the president was shot. I was on my way to attend my best friends wedding in Utica.

pcox
11-09-2013, 07:19
I was a sophomore in high school about sixty miles west of Dallas. Was in study hall in the cafeteria, one of the teachers brought a TV in and plugged it in. One of those events that you can replay in your mind like a video.

Ron James
11-25-2013, 05:21
At the time I was very naive about politics, He double L, I was more interested in the local skirts than what was going on in Washington. It was only much later that I learned that not every one was upset abut JFK's death, in fact there even people cheering at the news. There were a lot of people that felt that JFK " brought " the election and was in cahoots with crooked unions and crime lords. His own father made a fortune running bourbon from Canada to the US on his yacht during prohibition His father was also pulled from the job as ambassador to England during WWII because it was suspected he was too close to the Germans. Churchill was very blunt about his feelings about the elder Kennedy, in private commutations to FDR he accused him of being a German spy. JFK's time in the White house makes Clinton reign seem tame. JFK would have his secret service people bring his dates into the White House late at night ( to the White House indoor pool area. ). However to day he has turned into a cult thing , even through the people who are in the cult were not even around during his presidency. Oh well, History is as who ever writes it to be. Just reflecting on what is now history.