PDA

View Full Version : Ammo/components scarce... why?

Matt Anthony
10-26-2013, 03:37
I shoot rimfire every Sunday and use Standard Plus or Match Rifle SK Jagd. I was very lucky to have bought a case two years in a row at Camp Perry. Paying premium prices there is just the factor you choose instead of buying it online. The fact was I couldn't buy it online, no one had any! At Perry I paid an extra $80.00 per case and then had Ohio sales tax on top of that.
I am seeing ammo on shelves, Gander Mountain, Cabella's, Dicks, Bass Pro Shops and many online sources as well. The prices have increased, but all in all, this is 2013, not 1990. Older people don't realize at times just how old they really are, and I am included! Components are also on the upswing, primers and powder are coming back along with the price increases.
My point in all of this is the fact it's been over two years of my continuing frustration with the rimfire ammunition shortage. It makes absolutely no sense in my opinion. The SK I buy is now $510.00 a case from Champion Shooters Supply, however they were sold out of the cases yesterday in seconds. I did get my "notify me" email and promptly clicked on the link, but it was too late. This is the third time it has happened at Champion. I sure wish they used the same system that Powdervalleyinc.com uses. You are put on a list for items you choose and when it's your turn, they bill you then and send it out. Very fair in my opinion.
So, I am not convinced with the explanations that have been made about why there are shortages on ammo and components. Some have blamed the government, others blame the dealers and some blame Mr. Joe Citizen for stockpiling. None of it makes any sense, especially high and even low priced rimfire ammo. For a time there wasn't any to be found, none! Every online source. I visited at least 35 webstores and all were out of stock. To the cheapest to the most expensive, none available. Something doesn't smell right, and I can't understand it nor have I been able to get an explanation from El.ey, Lapua or even Remington. All I get is production is 24/7 and we are at our limits of production. Where the heck is it going???????
One other point, I witnessed a fellow at our range selling Aguila Match Rifle rimfire in the black and gold box for $85.00 a brick. I then looked at "The Armory" website and low and behold they were selling it for $79.99 a brick. I bought this same ammo for $299.00 a case at the "Armory" two years ago and was not happy with the performance. This is beyond comprehension and sanity!
Matt

joem
10-26-2013, 05:13
I think people are still stocking up and worried that ammo may be harder to get with increased restrictions on it's sale. Price increases are inevitable as the dollar is decreased in value.

Tuna
10-26-2013, 07:35
I think you will find it's a number of things that happened all at once. Hoarding, limited supply available as government orders come first they all add to it but the one big factor is the companies that make the cartridge brass has decreased to one or two here in the states. They cannot keep up with the demand. In fact the last company that makes lead here has now closed it's doors because of EPA requirements so now lead has to be imported no matter what.

BudT
10-26-2013, 03:46
http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/378?

They advertise they have 22 ammo

Hefights
10-26-2013, 07:10
More stuff out there now, Cabela's looked much better today. Poly Gun Bags has a big selection of nice primed milsurp 7.62 brass. Things might be looking up.

psteinmayer
10-26-2013, 08:23
I was at Cabelas in Dundee Michigan today... The had powder, primers, even select bullets. I picked up two pounds of IMR 4064 today. They had tons of .45, .40 and 9mm ammo too.

BudT
10-27-2013, 06:15
I bought a 550round bulk box of Federal .22lr from WallyWorld just a few days ago. Some things are still in short supply but others are back and you can buy all you want.

bruce
10-27-2013, 12:43
Buy what you can when you can. Because just as surely as you wait till you need it, whatever it is will be sold out. For .22 LR this is especially true. Even plain Jane .22 LR is about as hard to find as the proverbial hens teeth. I haven't seen any for sale anywhere at all in the last five months except when someone offers a brick or two for sale here or at some other gun forum. When offered it gets bought quickly. Yesterday I found a indoor range. They have .22 Shorts... 7.99/100 rds. Another indoor range that I've already been using has Rem. .22 LR Thunderbolts for $6.99/50 rds. w/ a single 50 rd. box limit per day per customer. I just left Wal-Mart about an hour ago. The salesperson in the sporting goods section said they had some .22 LR this morning... and that it was sold out in maybe a few minutes. She said it'd be between 2-3 weeks before more was received at the store. So at least in this area, buy what you can when you see it.

older than dirt
10-28-2013, 08:54
I was at my local Bass Pro Shop today. No powder of any kind, but did pick up 3 sleeves (300) of CCI large rifle primers & a box of (100) Hornady 270w BT 130g bullets.

Art
10-29-2013, 10:59
All of the above are part of the reason, to that you can add the fact that the companies that make "components" are still ramped up to full production making loaded ammo. It is getting better though. About a month ago I picked up a pound of 4064 powder. Primers are readily available where I live and virgin brass is coming back but a lot of high demand bullets, 9mm and .308 among others, are still in very, very short supply here in the greater Houston area as are a lot of the more desirable powders.

Right now I'd take Bruce's advice. When something becomes available that you use its a good idea to buy some!

psteinmayer
10-29-2013, 06:04
Amen to that!

colt100
11-02-2013, 11:03
Well, I have heard that 22LR production is 4 million rounds a day in the US. 4 million = 8000 (500 rd) bricks. Divide that equally by states and you have 160 bricks of 22 LR per day per state.

People hording, more gun owners, and many gun owners switching to 22 LR for training due to reduced costs equals more demand.

Once you think that only 160 people per STATE can buy a brick of 22 LR per day, assuming 100% of production goes towards commercial sales, it's not too hard to see why there has been and still is a shortage. The only thing that is going to bring costs down and put more ammo on the shelves, is for manufactures to increase production capacity or demand to decrease.

Hefights
11-03-2013, 02:43
Many components are re-appearing now. Check out Poly Gun Bags as an example (brass & bullets), stuff there has not been for many moons.

http://www.polygunbag.com/

BudT
11-03-2013, 07:37
Art, not all areas of the country are affected by this in the same way. My local dealer is having a hard time selling it and several more powders. I dont think he will ship ammo or powder way to much trouble. All the plated popular fmj pistol bullets you could want and yes on the shelf just waiting for a buyer. Some 22 and as of a few days ago some 17HMR now on the shelf. I believe the shortages of most of this stuff is by the area and in part by the size of the population drawing on the avalable stock. The hunting season also has a finger or two in the picture. The days of the 12 dollar 30-30 or 17 dollar 270 or 30-06 are over about the best you can hope for is 21-25 per box of Remington or Federal 150 grain 06 or other cheap ammo. In your area it might just be a case of "there aint none" at any price. Hang in there it seems to be getting better even here where I live on the edge of the world, I can see the mist from where the world ends and the water falls off into the dark LOL.

leftyo
11-04-2013, 12:59
4 million a day is what CCI is producing for 22lr a day, not total US production. that does not include what win,fed, and rem produce.

jimb
11-09-2013, 03:26
Hmmmmm....I just paid $17 a box of Boxer primed 7.62x54R. The same shop had all the primers you could want. Powder selection was a little thin, but they had a fair amount. Plenty of ammo in just about all of the common calibers.

BudT
11-10-2013, 05:59
Wally World Butte MT had 22 Stingers and 22 short HP Remingtons for sale yesterday. The local dealer has some 22 ammo and the Murdochs has a shelf full of ammo but no 22 .243 Win. and very few 30-30 Win ammo. All the primers you want Remington, Winchester and CCI, 17 HMR by the case but Remington went up to 19 dollars per box. At 28 per pound for IMR3031 or H4831 all you want and no one buying. I was looking for a pound of Accurate 1680 and have been for 3 years it's just not out there in my area due to low demand oh well one of these days it will show up. Keep looking it's out there.