PDA

View Full Version : Rust Removal Suggestions

Ironlip
10-25-2013, 10:16
Have a very nice, and apparently authentic Inland M1A1. Unfortunately there is a light rust on the barrel and front sight; also a little on the safety. The barrel and front sight are parkerized. The safety is blued.

What is the best method for removing the rust without harming the parkerizing or bluing?

I'm thinking light oil on the rust and then some type of bronze or steel wool. I've been told 0000 steel wool, stainless steel wool (looks like metal wood shavings) and bronze wool.

The rust has got to go, but I don't want to take the finish with it. What methods to you guys use?

Thanks in advance.

Rick

Tuna
10-26-2013, 07:26
Oil and bronze wool is what I have always used to remove light rust.

ChipS
10-26-2013, 02:20
I use a penetrating oil like 'Liquid Wrench' and a stiff bronze bore brush. Let the oil set on it awhile & then scrub with the bore brush. Repeat until no more visible rust. Then remove any bronze residue with Hoppes No. 9 on a toothbrush & a cloth. JMHO

jimb
10-26-2013, 04:47
Oil and bronze wool here too.

leftyo
10-27-2013, 04:08
the fact is, rust has already compromised the finish. however if not too deep, when removed can be hardly noticeable. soak it in oil, and scrub it with a stiff bristled toothbrush before getting overly agressive with it. i can spot a steel wooled firearm from a long ways off.

Johnny in Texas
10-28-2013, 06:55
I use a bronze brush with hoppes very gently