PDA

View Full Version : Colt 1911 serial number

sfdgunny
10-24-2013, 12:19
I'm looking at a Colt 1911 from an estate sale that does NOT fall into the serial number ranges I've seen posted.

Serial # is theoretically 132856
1911 patent date on slide
rampant colt on rear of slide
Double diamond grips

Seems like a few anomalies...
Comes with a WWI rig and won't be able to actually see it in person until Friday.
Price unknown until 0900 Friday!!??!

What do you say?

Gunny

10-24-2013, 12:49
If original 1800-2K

Duane Hansen
10-24-2013, 01:41
I'm looking at a Colt 1911 from an estate sale that does NOT fall into the serial number ranges I've seen posted.

Serial # is theoretically 132856
1911 patent date on slide
rampant colt on rear of slide
Double diamond grips

Seems like a few anomalies...
Comes with a WWI rig and won't be able to actually see it in person until Friday.
Price unknown until 0900 Friday!!??!

What do you say?

Gunny

We simply do not have enough information about the pistol yet to possibly give an accurate estimation of value. Just too many unknowns. Even if original, it may have little or no finish left and be worth many hundreds of dollars less than has been suggested.

sfdgunny
10-24-2013, 02:46
Totally agree on the unknowns. I was called to give an opinion, but without pics or personal inspection!! That's what I told them as well.

My main curiosity is the serial number. Unless he wrote it down wrong??! It is not in the known blocks?

I will re-post with details and Proofs, rampant colt circled or not, etc. and let you all know.

Main question is the SN?

Johnny P
10-24-2013, 03:49
The serial number is in the suspended Springfield Armory range. Colt made replacement receivers using these serial numbers, and the above pistol appears to be one of the receivers.

Scott Gahimer
10-24-2013, 04:06
I guess I'm lost here. Why is the serial number such a mystery? That is a legitimate serial number.

sfdgunny
10-25-2013, 05:57
Went to the sale. I had a chance to see the price tag on the 1911 while I grabbed up a Walther AC43 P38, a Beretta and a Glock. (Don't judge me!)
The first guy to pick up the 1911 bought it. Sale had it priced at $1450. I talked to the gentleman who bought it and asked to check it out. His son who is in the Nat'l Guard or Reserves had seen the ad online for the sale and sent his dad to get it for him.
The previous post about the "suspended serial numbers" was what I was wondering aboout. It appears to be an original (externally, I didn't break it down) Colt with the un-circled rampant colt at the rear of the receiver. USP mark in appropriate place and proof. Original aged grips and correct trigger, MSH, etc.
The condition was what made me hesitate and grab up the others. It was un-refinished, but about 50%??? I'm bad at estimating that.
So the guy got a nice (50%) original Colt with a WWII belt and 1942 Boyt (Hoyt?) holster with Mills 1919 mag pouch for $1450. I think his son will be happy with it.

Duane Hansen
10-28-2013, 07:02
If it was actually correct and original with about 50% finish, he probably did OK on the price but no Screamin Deal though for sure. Condition is everything.....