PDA

View Full Version : Close Call with the Pam Lube technique in 1898 Krag

Griff Murphey
10-22-2013, 05:32
The first time I used Pam I just sprayed it on my .30-40 cases in my loading block like Hornady One Shot. Needless to say I got too much on them. It was quite a cleanup chore and I wound up with too much all over. I had some powder sticking in the case mouth even after using Q tips in the case mouths.

Maury Krupp described the correct method (lightly spraying inside a plastic bag then manipulating the cases in the bag) but I already had these .30-40's loaded up. First time out I had a dead primer.

So today I thought I would shoot the rest up. I was all set to shoot a rapid string and a target break was imminent so I hurried. Got off three rounds then the fourth one did not sound right but a fired (seemingly) case ejected. I fed in another only it would not chamber. Yup stuck bullet and lots of unburned powder. Thankfully the bullet had not gone in far enough or I might have cranked a live one in behind it, and blown up myself and the gun (98 Krag).

Plus it tapped out easily. So thank you, Guardian Angel.

2 morals here: Get full details before trying any new technique, and never rush handloading.

If you screw up, back up. I should have washed/degreased those cases.

10-22-2013, 08:21
Taught myself to reload without help & before the Internet. I wore out 3 kinetic pullers before I got the general hang of it.

Griff Murphey
10-22-2013, 08:25
I've been reloading 48 years. Best way not to screw up is to avoid trying something new at a certain point.

Hefights
10-22-2013, 11:17
I just use RCBS water soluble lube, cheap, easy, quick, cleans up readily, never a problem, high quality accurate reloads.

joem
10-23-2013, 06:20
I make my own case lube. I dump cases into a gallon sized zip loc bag and spray a bit in the bag. Shake it a bit and decap and size. All the cases go into the tumbler to have the lube removed before priming and loading.

da gimp
10-23-2013, 06:26
daam good way to do it joem............

jimb
10-25-2013, 06:45
that's how I clean the lube off my cases. I use fine corn cob because its cheaper in large quantity than anything else and easy to discard when it gets dirty enough to quit working.

psteinmayer
11-15-2013, 06:38
Well, today I bit the bullet (so to speak)... I ran out of Hornady One Shot, and since I didn't want to go back to the old Lee paste, I sprayed my cases with Pam. I sprayed them in the loading block. I was amazed at how easily they sized with the Pam. for clean-up, I simply placed the cases in a colander and submerged them in Palmolive dish soap... and agitated them for around 5 minutes. Then I rinsed them, and set them aside to dry overnight. I'll check them for any oily residue, but judging how clean they look - AND feel, I think I'm good to go! I'll let everyone know how they turn out...

joem
11-16-2013, 05:13
that's how I clean the lube off my cases. I use fine corn cob because its cheaper in large quantity than anything else and easy to discard when it gets dirty enough to quit working.

I only use crushed walnut shells. Call a company that does sand blast cleaning and ask about crushed walnut shells. I buy in 50 pound bags. Try to get the 12-20 sized shells, they seem to work best. Any finer grind stops up the flash hole.

KeithNyst
11-29-2013, 02:54
I only use crushed walnut shells. Call a company that does sand blast cleaning and ask about crushed walnut shells. I buy in 50 pound bags. Try to get the 12-20 sized shells, they seem to work best. Any finer grind stops up the flash hole.

You can also check out your local pet supplier's lizard litter ... most of the time it is ground walnut shells. Petco had 25 qts for under $25.