PDA

View Full Version : SMLE with painted metal

173rd
10-20-2013, 05:20
I recently acquired a Lee-Enfield with all metal parts including the magazine painted a light grey color. The wood and bore of the rifle are in very good condition. These rifles are a whole new area of firearms to me. Does anyone have any information regarding who, why or when this rifle may have been given a "paint job"?

NuJudge
10-20-2013, 06:09
They are known for having black paint slopped all over the metal. I believe the paint was called "Suncorite." The one I have was so treated by the Indians.

I know nothing of light gray paint.

kcw
10-21-2013, 02:54
Apparently the paint was considered to be more corrosion resistant than bluing in hot, humid regions. I've only seen it in black.

mdshunter
10-21-2013, 06:45
To the best of my knowledge it never came in anything but black.

mdshunter
10-21-2013, 06:55
All of those Enfields were done like that. To the best of my knowledge they were never done in anything but the black paint. None of them show any pride in workmanship, all pretty much having the paint just slopped on. As such it is my belief they were just trying to get them out the door as cheaply and quickly as possible. As far as the paint being more corrosion resistant I have heard that several times over the years but have to wonder if that was the real reason.

173rd
10-21-2013, 07:54
Thank you for the replies. I was able to find a mention of black paint and Suncorite on an Enfield forum but did not see anything that explained who did the painting or why it was done and I had no idea how common the practice was. This grey paint appears to have been applied to all metal surfaces with the rifle disassembled and was actually a very well done application if you can stretch your imagination and consider painting a military rifle as "well done". Maybe I came across a rare grey painted specimen!!! At least the bayonet that came with the rifle was unmolested.

John Sukey
10-21-2013, 10:04
There was a WAR going on! Bluing takes time!

Tuna
10-21-2013, 07:18
Are you sure it's gray paint and not Parkerizing?

Guamsst
10-22-2013, 02:14
Don't forget green paint under the wood on some of the rifles reserved for "Dad's Army".

Never heard of light grey, I suspect bubba was involved and Suncorite "Black paint" is more corrosion resistant than bluing. It doesn't cover as much as bluing though. Trade off at best.

mack
10-22-2013, 06:07
Suncorite is toxic as heck, applied anyway you like, it just stinks and should not be breathed in an enclosed space. I have always used one of the flat blacks to replicate the effect of the material.

To answer your original question, gray was never an optional color of Suncorite AFAIK, but have someone look at the rifle if you are unsure as Parkerizing looks VERY gray. Canadian Brit No. 4 rifles were often parked, I believe. As always, I stand to be corrected as there are more variations in Enfields than grains of sand on the beaches of the world.