PDA

View Full Version : Model 1899 Handguard

RCK
10-20-2013, 01:35
I have seen reference photos of a Model 1899 hand guard for the 1901 sight having a raised hump with a sighting(?) groove through the top of the hump and a hand guard without the groove. What is the reason for these two types of hand guard?

Parashooter
10-20-2013, 09:49
The humped handguard protected the sight leaf from being caught on the mouth of the scabbard during insertion. (This feature was revived to the same purpose when the M1903 was equipped with the similar 1905 sight.) There was no need for it on the long Krag infantry rifles since those weren't designed for mounted troops.

Dick Hosmer
10-20-2013, 10:22
I have seen reference photos of a Model 1899 hand guard for the 1901 sight having a raised hump with a sighting(?) groove through the top of the hump and a hand guard without the groove. What is the reason for these two types of hand guard?

Don't know if it is a case of semantics, or ultra-literal paranoia, but, are you asking about TWO humped M1899 handguards, one of which has a groove and one of which does not? I believe that all humped Krag guards (should) have grooves, but that some early 1903 (perhaps those for rod-bayonets only?) do not.

RCK
10-21-2013, 03:58
Thanks Dick, it was probably my semantics. I was pretty sure that hand guard had a groove, but on an on line site there appeared to be a Model 1899 carbine and the humped hand guard did not seem to have the groove. It could have just been how the rifle was photographed. Thanks for your input.

Kragrifle
10-21-2013, 05:11
The 1899 carbines will have the handguard with the "groove" and an 1896 style carbine sight, although this sight will have the larger knob on the slide. These were the carbines produced in 1900. The later 1901 dated carbines will have a similar, but different, handguard with a rounded edge. I guess this is what you are referring to as the one without the "groove". These carbines will have the 1901 style rear sight that looks very similar to the later 1903 rear sight. Some 1901 carbines will have the rifle style 1901 handguard that lacks the protective rounded hump. There is a lot of discussion among Krag collectors about which is more correct, but as I remember the details, I believe either could be original. Some were later altered to the rounded hump, but suffice to say these are three variations of the 1899 carbine sight/handguard combinations. Don't forget the 1899 versions with 1898 style handguards and the 1899 carbine sight. Finally, there will be the later versions with the 1902 carbine sight and the 1898 handguard. I believe there were a few 1899 carbines cartouched 1902 though I have never seen one. The 1902 carbine sights were a low volume sight with only 1000 being produced and these sights were never original sights, only being used for replacement purposes.

RCK
10-21-2013, 11:58
That is great information Kragrifle. I guess I was not imagining things, there is a version of the carbine humped hand guard without the groove. I'm pretty sure the rear sight was the Model 1901 version on the photo I saw with a "non-grooved" hump.

Dick Hosmer
10-21-2013, 02:48
I need to 'own up' here - my guns are SO inaccessible that I am guilty of answering off the top of my head at times, with the result that I sometimes make a mistake.

Kragrifle is entirely correct. The humped HG for use on 32" stocks with the M1896C sight has a groove, while that for the M1901C sight does not. The hump was only used on sights which hinged at the rear, so does not occur on those carbines fitted with the M1898C or M1902C sights.