PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about picking up an 1898 rifle - what to look for?

viking73
10-20-2013, 07:35
Hi,

I have a line on a 1898 Krag rifle. Now I am not familiar with the Krag, but the more I think about it, the more I think I'd like to add one to my U.S. Arms collection. I've been reading about them this weekend on-line and other than the norm - bore condition - is there anything in particular I need to know about them before I make a deal? I have read that the rear sight type is something to look for? Anything else?

I know it's tough without any pictures to help but I think the price is okay ($850, which is less than anything I see on Gun Broker) and so I might have to pick it up. She appears to be all there, nothing cut down or missing. I'll be sure to post some photos here if/when I do get her.

Thanks, just looking for a little advice/re-assurance before I pull the trigger on this rifle.

-Derek

Dick Hosmer
10-20-2013, 10:12
That is the most common model of Krag, by far. For $850 it should be in pretty nice condition, with clear (and date-appropriate) cartouche, and have a very good bore.

Rear sight model really does not matter, as, at one time or another, ALL types were officially used. Most people seem to prefer the Model 1901 (looks very similar to that of a 1903 Springfield) for shooting.

dave
10-20-2013, 12:58
As a collector I pay no attention to bore condition unless I intend to shoot it allot. Something I do little of any more. Allot of old military rifles, especially foreign types have bad bores and will still hit a target. I pay more attention to outside condition and originalty. Just my opinion.

viking73
10-26-2013, 05:56
Hi Guys,

Well I picked up this rifle yesterday, no decent photos to post just yet. She is in the 435XXX s/n range and has a nice 1903 cartouche on the wrist.

I'm very happy to own a Krag! I promise to post some photos soon!!

-Derek

Rick the Librarian
10-27-2013, 06:13
Just a warning -- sometimes you can stop with one. Wanted a "sample" Krag about 9 years ago, found it, and now have five more besides!! :D