PDA

View Full Version : Does a carbine have

BudT
10-19-2013, 01:52
Does a Krag carbine have a real thick barrel band on the top in front of the rear sight? How could you tell if a Krag carbine is a real carbine, the things to look for. Thanks

BudT

psteinmayer
10-19-2013, 03:01
If it's an 1899, it is certain to be a carbine. If it's an 1898, the carbines were only in specific serial number ranges. 1898 carbines are often faked so the serial number will help narrow it down. What is the model and serial number? Pictures will help a lot with identifying what you have, and if it's a true or fake carbine. There are earlier carbines, but people here on the forum who are more knowledgeable than me can tell you more about that. As for the rear barrel band, it depends on which rear sight and hand guard you have...

Paul

JOHN42768
10-19-2013, 03:23
Hi Bud, In regards to your question about the band, the '96 and '98 would have a higher area in front of the rear sight to protect it when going in and out of the scabbard.First of all what is the serial number range? '96, '98 or '99? Barrel must be 22" from face of muzzle to front of bolt. What does the base of the front sight look like where mortised into the barrel. What is the cartouche? Are the rear sights marked with "c"? These are just a few of the questions with many more to justify. Photos are needed. If you don't have any of the books on Krag, take a look through some of the postings to see photos. Here and at Kragcollectorassociation.org . There are photos of the three varieties there. You can also take a look at mine listed as Carbine Eye Candy. I believe they are in page 31 of the postings. Many thousands of rifles were cut down and made into carbines of sorts. There is no simple answer without a lot of details. John

Dick Hosmer
10-19-2013, 03:41
You can also look in my Krag album at www.picturetrail.com/sa4570af

Kragrifle
10-19-2013, 06:10
Nice Healey!

BudT
10-19-2013, 09:44
Thanks for the info, like the idiot I am I didnt write anything down. I see a sight like the one on it as well as the barrel band in Mr. Hosmers web page. I do remember it has a circle p under the trigger guard and another cartouche that looks like a raised black ink on the left side back from the mag cut off. It's hard to tell but I think it had 1889 or 1888 in it. The rifle metal has pretty much the same patina. I wish I had the rifle to take pictures and try to post but it's still with the dealer. I don't know how much he is going to ask for the rifle as yet but the owner wanted 600 for it and JD wouldnt go for it I told him I like Krags but not that much. I suspect it will be in the 300 range we will see next week, it has a really nice sharp clean shiny barrel in it. I think it would be a good shooting barrel but who knows until you try it.

Weasel
10-19-2013, 09:49
You can also look in my Krag album at www.picturetrail.com/sa4570af

Isn't American Flyer "S" gauge? Mine is 1947 and is "S" gauge. Not trying to hijack the thread but just would like to know.

Dick Hosmer
10-19-2013, 11:16
Nice Healey!

Thanks - it's inactive again. Just too much going on to spend time playing with it. I keep it licensed and insured and start it at least once a month or so, but haven't driven it since 2012. It's a runner, but not what I would call a "daily driver"; I wouldn't venture too far from home, just in case. We're not going to have the antique store forever, and I look forward to having more time for the Healey in the future.

Dick Hosmer
10-19-2013, 11:21
Isn't American Flyer "S" gauge? Mine is 1947 and is "S" gauge. Not trying to hijack the thread but just would like to know.

Yes, and no. When Gilbert bought AF in 1938, they brought out a new line of 3/16" scale trains to run on regular "O" track. I'm sure they planned on the 2-rail track sooner, but the war intervened. They are kind of an oddity, and MANY people who visit the layout in our antique store ask the same question. Despite large signs to the contrary, they insist that the trains are Lionel because of the track.

dave
10-20-2013, 07:47
Thanks for the info, like the idiot I am I didnt write anything down. I see a sight like the one on it as well as the barrel band in Mr. Hosmers web page. I do remember it has a circle p under the trigger guard and another cartouche that looks like a raised black ink on the left side back from the mag cut off. It's hard to tell but I think it had 1889 or 1888 in it. The rifle metal has pretty much the same patina. I wish I had the rifle to take pictures and try to post but it's still with the dealer. I don't know how much he is going to ask for the rifle as yet but the owner wanted 600 for it and JD wouldnt go for it I told him I like Krags but not that much. I suspect it will be in the 300 range we will see next week, it has a really nice sharp clean shiny barrel in it. I think it would be a good shooting barrel but who knows until you try it.

If it's a real carbine 600 is a very good price, if a cut down rifle too hi. Most any 96 or 99 carbine will go for 1000 or more, even with rifle sights on the 96 (which most will have!)

Weasel
10-20-2013, 09:20
Yes, and no. When Gilbert bought AF in 1938, they brought out a new line of 3/16" scale trains to run on regular "O" track. I'm sure they planned on the 2-rail track sooner, but the war intervened. They are kind of an oddity, and MANY people who visit the layout in our antique store ask the same question. Despite large signs to the contrary, they insist that the trains are Lionel because of the track.

Thanks Dick, that answered my question.