PDA

View Full Version : A Marine Corp Fishing Reel

Fred Pillot
10-18-2013, 12:24
A Shakespeare. Going by the model FK, this reel would have been introduced in 1951.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Shakespeare-no-1924-direct-drive-U-S-M-C-model-FK-fishing-reel-/300992579327?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item46148e46ff#ht_25wt_907

John Sukey
10-18-2013, 12:33
Unusual, I thought the normal Marine Corps fishing method was tossing a grenade in the water:icon_wink:

SMOKEY
10-18-2013, 01:36
Unusual, I thought the normal Marine Corps fishing method was tossing a grenade in the water:icon_wink:

My thoughts exactly Mr. Sukey

Oyaji
10-18-2013, 05:49
Probably issued/rented out by Base Special Services (aka Outdoor Recreation Gear Locker) much like sleeping bags, Coleman stoves, ice chests, etc.

Art
10-21-2013, 04:50
Probably issued/rented out by Base Special Services (aka Outdoor Recreation Gear Locker) much like sleeping bags, Coleman stoves, ice chests, etc.

When I was in the army stuff like this was given out on a hand receipt. When I was younger, mid 1960s to late 1970s I owned several Shakespeare casting reels. They were ok tackle, not as smooth or durable a Pfleuger or Ambasadeur which were top of the line at the time but they were what I could afford and I took a lot of fish with them. Nice find. I have seen some other for sale examples of G.I. sporting gear too, including a couple of U.S. Property marked L.C. Smith field grade shotguns.

Amazing it survived, I'm surprised its final resting place wasn't a landfill.

John R.
10-26-2013, 04:14

Nah !

You pull the arming pins on a Combloc 82mm HE and then throw it off the stern of your Zodiac at full speed. It looks
like a depth charge going off when it lets rip and you wouldn't believe the fugly fish dwelling on the bottom of the Zambezi River either.

Look up Tiger Fish and you'll see whence I speak.I had to account for any of our own Hotchkiss-Brandt 81mm bombs but if I didn't "remember" to include captured stuff like mortar bombs or Rooski TPN(Trotnipovar Shaska aka "trotyl") or if truly lucky Czech "Semtex"
plastique.Like many if not most of us I JUST LOVE BANGS! !! TM and TMN-46 AT mines and POM-Z's,RGD-5's etc were always welcome too ! Chinese sticks not so much as the fuses aren't reliable ESPECIALLY if the lot no and wax coating is gone off the handle.

Nowadays you would probably get your ass slung in gaol for just thinking about stuff like this....Oh well.

Cheers,

JR

joem
10-27-2013, 07:26

I've done that. Works really good.

Griff Murphey
11-06-2013, 04:35
One of my great friends and a patient was a retired Army Col., MD. He was the port medical officer in Belfast N. Ireland in WW-2. He was invited to go fishing by a French submarine captain who picked him up in a dinghy, complete with fresh baked bread, plenty of red wine, and... A satchel of hand frags.

Sharpshooter
03-08-2014, 09:59
I have heard that the V40 was perfect for fishing , more than one or two allegedly ended up getting tossed into the water to produce a fish dinner.