PDA

View Full Version : recent ithaca 1943 I got

computermedic
10-14-2013, 08:21
This is the 1943 Ithaca I bought. All matching as near as I can tell, but some one had monkey with the slide by taking the park off and rounding the edges on the slide and a little on the frame.

da gimp
10-14-2013, 02:26
still purty, congrats sir.

Duane Hansen
10-14-2013, 02:35
Interestingly the right side looks quite normal and the finish looks to match from slide to frame. The right side looks like someone rode the old buffer pretty hard. Could have been a localized rust issue or a marking put on by a non-collecter that needed to be removed.

computermedic
10-15-2013, 09:16
what was done to the left was the park was removed and the edge on the slide was rounded ( I was told this was done in prep of it getting nickel plated at one time and they gave up on the Idea). Now the question is do I just bead blast and repark, try and make the right look like the left by rounding the edge and bead blasting with a repark or duracoat the whole pistol. I could also go looking for another slide, possibly another Ithaca made slide.
On a good note at 30 yards I could not miss a pop can with it and it function flawlessly.

JohnMOhio
10-15-2013, 09:27
That would be a hard decision if it were mine. The way I look at it right now, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. It is what it is and it works "flawlessly." What more could you want?

John

Duane Hansen
10-16-2013, 12:12
Since the slide was buffed on to the point of rounding off the sharp edges, I would keep my eyes open for a better one. They do show up accasionally on ebay and on some of the WTB/WTS boards.

computermedic
10-19-2013, 05:06
The collector in me says leave it alone and keep it as is or last resort another Ithaca slide. The shooter in me says it shoots good leave it alone or use it to make it a good carry gun by replacing the arch for a flat and replacing the safety. I'm leaning to reparking it as I do not like a shine slide ion one side and parked on the other. This is my 2nd 1911. My 1st is a high standard that is very finicky on what mags and ammo it likes.