PDA

View Full Version : Another Krag hunt

jon_norstog
10-13-2013, 10:23
We are going back to the Lolo Zone, above the Lochsa River north of Syringa ID. Used to be our hunting grounds, but there was a horrendous winter kill in 96-97, and then the wolves came in. We gave it up after the '08 hunting season, tried the Centennials one year and the Coeur d'Alenes 3 years.

Last year Idaho F&G killed 175 wolves in the Lolo Zone. This spring paul and I decided to give it a try. I scouted our area in September - not too promising, except there seems to be an explosion of fawns. I've heard there are elk further west, near Orofino and WEIPPE. My thought is they my flee eAST once hunting pressure steps up. And I'll be waiting for them.

As usual I'll be carrying my Krag "carbine" with the rechambered Model 70 barrel. I kicked the hunting load up to 43.5 gr. AA 4350 behind a Sierra 220 gr. RN. That is a load that is point blank out to 150 yds. It is strong enough to bust through bone on a quartering shot. A front quartering shot I'll take;a rear quartering shot I'll probably take a pass on it. And that load is about all I want to throw at a US Krag. Others may disagree.

Anyway, the Lolo Zone is big and we can move around if we have to.

An interesting asid: the Lolo Trail, which Lewis AND Clark followed IN 1804 and the Nez Perce took in 1877 running from the Army, runs just across Fish Creek drainAGE from our base camp.

jn

p246
10-14-2013, 02:41
Good luck.

psteinmayer
10-14-2013, 05:42
Go Get 'em Jon... and God Speed!