PDA

View Full Version : Day at the range

jon_norstog
10-13-2013, 09:01
I finally got in a range day, sighting in the hunting rifles. I took along the two Springfields I bought this year, a '98 Krag and an '84 trapdoor I bought from Al Frasca. I had some BP ammoloaded up with a Lyman 385 gr bullet and 65 gr. FFG. My backup gun I take hunting is a rolling block in 45-70 and it really likes that load.

I've heard that trapdoors can have sloppy bores and may need oversize bullets to shoot right. I was prepared for the worst. OTOH Al said he thought this rifle had never been fired. Could be right, the bore was really nice.

I took a COUPLE shots at 50 yards and they were on the paper high but otherwise OK. So I shot 5 at 100 yds. shooting at a 6 1/2" bull. Here it is:

It was getting a little crappy, rain and damp, and I wasn't getting a great sight picture. It's not a great group, but what gives me hope is: no keyholing and no vertical stringing. I think this is gonna be a really good rifle.

jn

M1Riflenut
10-14-2013, 02:08
Wish mine shot that good! I had major keyholing and could'nt hit a 4x8 sheet of plywood! I'm working on it though. Going to make up different loads with bigger bullets. Was hoping to shoot it again sunday but instead I've sitting here with the dam flu and feel like crap.

older than dirt
10-15-2013, 10:29
Here is a pic of my target (6 in.) from 2011 & it still shoots the same. By the way the barrel is cut to 26" & was recrowned by me

http://i781.photobucket.com/albums/yy99/argo289/100_1674_zps0c1cf09c.jpg