PDA

View Full Version : My new Trapdoor

carbineone1964
10-13-2013, 06:02
By the serial number this was originally a 1884 Model I believe. 315XXX range. I think the barreled receiver was made around late 85 or early 1886..

It was a somewhat long time project I just finished this week. All it was when I got it was a very nice original finish barreled receiver with front sight. And a stock with all metal except one barrel band, the stock I believe was original to the Rifle when new more likely.

The stock needed alot of work. But the Bore and metal finish is very nice. No markings left on the stock. Someone had a already started repair on it and made a mess of it. The wrist was cracked in several places. Still not the best but it looks decent and is very strong now after my repairs.

I have a 1879 sight on it. It was I suppose originally a Buffington, but the 1879 was had for about half of what I could get a Buffington for.

Anyway I have probably a little more in putting it together than it is worth to someone else. But it came out very nice. I really like it and it shoots great with Ultramax rounds. Going to do some reloading. But the Ultramax bullets fly straight and accurate..

Anyway here is a pic..Thanks
http://imageshack.us/a/img593/4319/kah2.jpg

p246
10-13-2013, 06:28
Glad you put it back together. They are addictive

Dan Shapiro
10-13-2013, 08:21
What year is your flintlock?

carbineone1964
10-14-2013, 08:35
That was another recent project. That is a Harpers Ferry 1816. Well some say there is no 1816 designation, but that is what I call it and most others. It was made in 1826 at Harpers Ferry of course. Springfeid Armory also made them at their armory and a few other smaller contractors.

It is a .69 caliber and I shoot it quite often. Alot of fun to shoot. Stock has been repaired as has the barrel also. Of course alot of the originality is gone now..But very glad I saved it the best I could anyway.. Very attractive old Musket now. Here is a pic of what it looked like when I received it.

In case someone asks. The second one down is a IBM M1 Carbine. It has mostly IBM parts and the flip sight on it has been on it since the day it was manufactured. 4th one down is a run of the mill 620 Stevens.

5th one is a somewhat hard to find Iver Johnson .22 Caliber M1 Carbine copy made in the early 80s. Really a cool little rifle and shoots and operates great. I would not trade that for three of those Crappy Chiaapa current made ones...Thanks
http://imageshack.us/a/img515/3803/ke.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img16/271/dylz.jpg

Dan Shapiro
10-14-2013, 10:05
Gotta love the flintlocks. I give an antique weapons demo to the USMC-ROTC units at the local high schools each year. Seems the highlight for them is seeing me do the 9-count drill for loading and firing the flintlock. Unfortunately, the school district frowns on actually loading the weapon with BP. The weapon is a Pattern 1795 manufactured in 1813 by R&C Leonard of Canton, Mass.

carbineone1964
10-14-2013, 02:14
That is really, really nice. Alot of Similarity's to the Harpers Ferry..Thanks for sharing the photo.

psteinmayer
10-14-2013, 06:03
I've always wanted a Harpers Ferry Flintlock! One of these days, I'm going to get one!