PDA

View Full Version : Assembler No. 60 at prewar Colt...

John HOLBROOK
10-12-2013, 12:14
I have a prewar Colt Super .38 that belonged to a close friend of my fathers, he was a Texas Ranger... It was assembled by "60". Does anyone know who he was?? I am just curious...

I have had this Colt for many years and never intended to sell it, however the owners grandson has contacted me several times and wanting to get in back in the family.. So, I will let him have it.

http://www.fototime.com/%7B65D5B584-3293-44F5-AA62-8FCCB5669BBF%7D/origpict/DSC00283.JPG

joem
10-12-2013, 12:56
I wouldn't care to give that one up. Awful nice.

John HOLBROOK
10-12-2013, 02:59
Yeah, however the family wants it back, soooooooooo......

dave
10-12-2013, 03:10
They want it back??? I have to assume it was not solen from them (the only legal claim I can think of) so I would ask "why, who got rid of it to begin with"? I'd tell him I'll leave it in my will to him if he pays what I paid to estate. I sold a pristine Win. M-63 years ago, I know where it is. Should I tell my grandson to ask for it back when I'm gone???

John HOLBROOK
10-12-2013, 04:50
They want it back??? I have to assume it was not solen from them (the only legal claim I can think of) so I would ask "why, who got rid of it to begin with"? I'd tell him I'll leave it in my will to him if he pays what I paid to estate. I sold a pristine Win. M-63 years ago, I know where it is. Should I tell my grandson to ask for it back when I'm gone???

Whoa, lighten up! Ranger Rohatsch's son is a retired USAF General and when I acquired the Colt, I contacted him and he knew nothing about it!! His son is a doctor in the Northeast and HE is the one that would like to have the Colt.. I believe that he wants to loan it to the Texas Ranger Museum in Waco, TX for display!!! Several years ago another Rohatsch Colt up on an auction and sold before I could buy it.

Here is a photo of it. Presumably, it was sold by the General, I just don't know.. ASFAIK, no one in the family knew of the Super .38 until I contacted them. Ralph Rohatsch is the man in the group photo, lower right standing.. He was a friend and contemporary of my sheriff father and I knew him during WW II... They worked together from 1941 until 1946 in South Texas...

http://www.fototime.com/%7B443282BB-69D3-4E41-AF5F-8FE1704F2B79%7D/origpict/HC-DS349Tx.jpg

Johnny P
10-12-2013, 07:25
The assembler and final inspector numbers (or letters) were used by whomever was in the position at the time. If the assembler moved on to another job, the person assigned to that assembler job used the same number. I don't know if there is a complete record of the people that worked as assemblers and the date they did so.

The Colt revolver is an example of "Pawn Shop" engraving, which was move of a wiggle engraving rather than removing metal.

John W
10-15-2013, 04:38

Although not specifically stated, John's post sounds like the former owner's grandson wants to buy the pistol so it's back in the family. If John wants to sell or give the gun back to the family than good on him. That's where the gun probably belongs.