PDA

View Full Version : The monuments men?

Guamsst
10-10-2013, 09:11
I think I want to see this. The shot of John Goodman in uniform had me ready to write it off until I saw what it was about. It supposedly tells the story of the team of art experts sent to go rescue fine art and protect historic places toward the end of World War 2. Clooney has done some military films that were odd at best (Three Kings) without directly insulting the military so I will give it a chance.

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/george-clooney-leaves-cynicism-behind-monuments-men-trailer-233444003.html

"It was a period of time in our history before all the cynicism," Heslov said about the film's WWII setting. "It was a war, I think, that everybody believed in, and it was right. And we were on the right side." And Heslov noted that even 70 years later, there are still pieces of that history yet to be discovered. He said, "There generally are a lot of stories buried in those times, and I feel like we found one that wasn't a rehashing. There really was something new."

Griff Murphey
10-11-2013, 07:41
Sounds like a film adaptation of Robert Edsall's book SAVING DA VINCI. Great book on how art looted by the Nazis was recovered by art majors with tommy guns. They pulled some real wonks out of academia and put them on that job and they got it done.

coastie
10-26-2013, 06:12
I recently read the book!
This would be a great movie, I hope the story comes on screen as true.

See my post below of three recommended books,

Thanks, Paul